Limos Supplant Entire Ram Van Lineup

Citing student concerns and cramped conditions, McShane orders changes to Ram Van fleet

ALLIE STOFER

McShane decided to replace the vans with limos after one ride to Lincoln Center.

By ALYSSA MACALUSO, A.P. Style Tyrant

In an email sent to the Fordham community on March 14, 2022, University President Rev. Joseph M. McShane, S.J., announced that all Ram Vans would be replaced by Ford Expedition Stretch SUV limousines, effective April 1, 2022. 

The announcement came after numerous complaints from the student body about the lack of luxurious benefits afforded to students at Fordham’s New York campuses when compared to the lavish assets at Fordham London Centre, including its state-of-the-art building for classes, affordable housing program with opulent amenities and all-expense-paid boat cruise on the River Thames. 

One comment under a Fordham Study Abroad Instagram post featuring the London river cruise read “wheres *my* hudson river cruise @fordhamuniversity?!” The official Fordham University account, @fordhamuniversity, did not respond to the comment. 

The new limousines will also provide a reprieve from the cramped conditions in the interior of the Ram Vans.

Although McShane did not directly address the discrepancy in student experiences between Fordham’s New York and London Centre programs, he did express excitement about the sunroof, mini bar and TV that will be included in the Ram Van experience. “Now, no one will be without a cup holder or drink again!” he declared.

According to McShane, the new limousines will also provide a reprieve from the cramped conditions in the interior of the Ram Vans, especially during “rush hour” periods, such as at 7:30 a.m. and 2:30 p.m. when many Fordham students are trying to get between the campuses for class. 

“I had to take a 2 p.m. Ram Van to Lincoln Center for my annual meeting at the campus, and I nearly twisted my ankle trying to get through the tangle of bags and backpacks on the way to my seat!” McShane exclaimed in a postscript at the bottom of the email. “After that experience, I said to myself, never again.” 

The notorious fourth row of the Ram Vans, dreaded by many a student, is also comparable to the third row of these Ford limos.

According to the “About Ram Van” section on Fordham’s website, Ram Vans can hold up to 14 passengers. The Ram Vans also have a small trunk for storage purposes, but students rarely take advantage of that option, preferring to keep their bags close to them to access personal items during the trip. The trunk can also be used for overflow passengers when needed.

The Ford limos that will replace the Ram Vans seat 12-20 people, depending on how many passengers are willing to squeeze in together and possibly sit on each others’ laps. The notorious fourth row of the Ram Vans, dreaded by many a student, is also comparable to the third row of these Ford limos, which have been critiqued for their cramped quarters. 

The limo fleet will retain the infamous Fordham University logos on a white car body, but the insides will feature plush leather seats and mood lighting, an atmosphere conducive to both studying and hyping students up on their way to their 8:30 a.m. classes. 

Many students also expressed surprise that Fordham was making the switch while gas prices are rapidly increasing nationwide.

However, students were confused about the benefits of switching to limousines to alleviate the space issue. Hope Fulskeptic, Fordham College at Lincoln Center (FCLC) ’24, echoed McShane’s fears about incurring injury when entering and exiting the Ram Vans but stated that she didn’t see the benefit in switching to limousines.  

“Honestly, as cramped as the Ram Vans can get, I don’t see how limousines will be any better,” Fulskeptic said. “I rode in a Ford limo for homecoming my sophomore year of high school, but it only fit like a dozen people, and it was hard to move around in.” 

Fulskeptic later added, “The only benefit I could see to limos is that they’re closer to the ground. Sometimes getting out of the Ram Vans can be scary, especially if the drivers don’t put a step stool out.” 

Currently, a Ram Van pass costs $3.50 and was last raised in August of 2014, from a flat fee of $3.

Many students also expressed surprise that Fordham was making the switch while gas prices are rapidly increasing nationwide, climbing as high as $4.37 in the Bronx and $4.73 in Manhattan, because the Ram Vans seem more economical than stretch limousines. But McShane explained in the email that the Ram Vans, which are also manufactured by Ford, are more or less economically matched with the stretch limousines, both of which average about 15 miles per gallon in the city. 

Vera Fiable, FCLC ’23 and a Ram Van driver who goes by the street name “Sexy Vera,” acknowledged McShane’s point but added that “He doesn’t know how crazy some of these drivers are.”

Fiable continued, “I’m not saying I do anything crazy, but I’ve seen how some of these other drivers navigate the roads, and they are certainly not keeping the gas mileage in mind. Fordham pays for the gas anyway, so why not have fun with the ride?”

Fulskeptic was also concerned about a ticket price increase for intercampus transportation.

Though Fiable learned how to drive the transit vans that Fordham currently uses with relative ease, she expressed worry about learning how to drive a stretch limo. 

“They’re just so much bigger, and some of the corners are already pretty tight, especially in Manhattan,” Fiable said. “I don’t want to imagine how many more accidents we (the drivers) will get into now.” 

Fulskeptic was also concerned about a ticket price increase for intercampus transportation. Currently, a Ram Van pass costs $3.50 and was last raised in August of 2014, from a flat fee of $3. Students taking classes at another campus receive complimentary Ram Van passes, but the price can be rather steep for students who are going to the other campus  for reasons other than class. 

The Observer reached out to Fordham’s Department of Transportation for clarification on whether the price for Ram Van tickets would be raised.

“I don’t want to pay $4 or more for a ride to the other campus,” Fulskeptic said. “That’s ridiculous! At that rate, I’ll just take the subway.” 

The Observer reached out to Fordham’s Department of Transportation for clarification on whether the price for Ram Van tickets would be raised, but the department did not respond to the request for comment. 

Fiable and Fulskeptic both mentioned that they believed the switch to limos may have something to do with McShane trying to increase Fordham’s desirability after a milestone recruitment year, breaking records at Lincoln Center’s campus by welcoming 1,107 incoming first-year students in a single year. 

“Personally, I think that this is just a ploy to entice more students into coming to Fordham,” Fiable said. “McShane probably thinks that he can dangle these limos to the parents to mask other issues, like overcrowding at the Lincoln Center campus or the horrible Aramark-provided food.” 

Fulskeptic agreed, stating that “I don’t see any other way to explain this move besides trying to convince more naive high school students to come to Fordham. Fordham has never listened to student complaints before,” Fulskeptic continued, referring to the alleged student complaints about disparities between New York campuses and Fordham London Centre. 

“So why start now?” Fulskeptic asked. “I guess the reasoning behind the Ram Limos will just have to remain a mystery.”