U.K. Variant of COVID-19 Found at Rose Hill Campus

PHILAFRENZY VIA WIKIMEDIA COMMONS

Face masks for sale in a U.K. pharmacy. Fordham has urged students to continue wearing face coverings when in public.

The U.K. variant of COVID-19 is present at the Rose Hill campus, the Office of the President announced via email this evening at 6:00 p.m. The email states that the variant was discovered through DNA sequencing of positive test samples.

The number of COVID-19 cases with the variant present on campus at this time is unknown, but at least one case has been confirmed.

The U.K. strain is reported to be more infectious, and the university cautions all Fordham students to observe strict precautions. This includes staying six feet away, wearing a face covering at all times and avoiding close gatherings.

The number of positive cases at the Rose Hill campus has risen dramatically since the start of the spring semester on Feb. 1. Over the course of the last two weeks, there have been 250 positive cases on campus; 244 of those cases are at Rose Hill. Lincoln Center currently has six confirmed cases.

(VIA FORDHAM COVID-19 DASHBOARD)

According to the official NYC Health website, the ZIP code of Belmont/Fordham University/Kingsbridge, 10458, has a 7-day average positivity rate of 8.92%, based on data collected from Feb. 15-21. During this period, 214 new people tested positive for the coronavirus. The ZIP code for Lincoln Square, 10023, has a positivity rate of 2.76% over the same timespan. Eighty new people tested positive for the virus in this area.

In-person instruction at the Rose Hill campus will remain paused through Feb. 27, according to the Office of the President.

This is a developing story. Check back for updates.