All Study Abroad in Europe Canceled, Another Potential Fordham Exposure Revealed

As of 9 p.m. March 11, there have still been no confirmed cases of coronavirus at Fordham.

By KATRINA LAMBERT

The Office of the President announced in a 9 p.m. email that another university staff member was potentially exposed to COVID-19 on March 10, a day before the COVID-19 outbreak was declared a pandemic by the World Health Organization.

As of 9 p.m. March 11, six members of the Fordham community have potentially been exposed to the virus, but there are still no confirmed cases of coronavirus at Fordham.

The staff member was directed to self-isolate for 14 days until it can be confirmed whether they are infected with COVID-19. This testing process is expected to take up to seven days.

“All the individuals at Fordham who were in contact with the staff person are being identified and contacted so that their health may be monitored,” said Rev. Joseph M. McShane, S.J., in the email.

According to the email, the employee’s work areas and campus facilities were deeply cleaned, as per Fordham’s standard procedure to limit further potential exposures.

Students who may have been in contact with the staff member were notified by Keith Eldredge, Fordham Lincoln Center assistant vice president and dean of students, and their rooms were deep-cleaned by custodial services.

On March 9, the university encouraged all residential students to return home immediately. Students who cannot return home are permitted to remain in their residence halls, and one dining facility each on the Rose Hill and Lincoln Center campuses remains open.

The March 11 email from the Office of the President also confirmed that Fordham has canceled all study abroad in Europe, calling home students enrolled in both the Granada and London programs. Joseph Rienti, director of international and study abroad programs, also emailed all study abroad students they should return home immediately.

“The University will ensure that returning students can complete their academic requirements for the spring semester via distance learning options,” McShane said in his email.

The March 11 email was sent out at the same time that President Donald Trump was addressing the nation, revealing plans to suspend all travel from Europe, with the exception of the United Kingdom. The 30-day travel ban will go into effect on Friday, March 13.

The European travel ban will only apply to foreign nationals and not to American citizens who had been screened before entering the country, according to the Trump administration.

Classes at Fordham’s London Centre will end on March 20, and students are required by the university to vacate their residence in London by March 23. Fordham students studying in Granada are also looking into flights to return to the United States.

“My sister booked a flight (and) I’m leaving Granada in 3 hours,” said Julianne Holmquist, Fordham College at Lincoln Center ’21, who is currently studying at Fordham’s Granada program.

This is a developing story. This article will be updated with additional information as it becomes available.