SUBSCRIBE TO THE OBSERVER'S WEEKLY NEWSLETTER:

4.8 Magnitude Earthquake Rattles Northeastern U.S.

The earthquake, which originated in Lebanon, New Jersey, occurred at around 10:23 a.m., sending tremors felt throughout the city and affecting the university’s campuses
Classes+were+in+session%2C+Ram+Van+shuttles+traveled+across+the+two+campuses+and+the+university%E2%80%99s+admitted+student+day+events+were+proceeding+during+the+tremors.+
MARYAM BESHARA
Classes were in session, Ram Van shuttles traveled across the two campuses and the university’s admitted student day events were proceeding during the tremors.

A 4.8 magnitude earthquake rattled the Northeastern region of the U.S. at 10:23 a.m. EST, sending shocks across the state of New Jersey, the five boroughs, Philadelphia and as north as Boston on Friday, according to the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). The USGS reported the earthquake’s epicenter was Lebanon, New Jersey, 50 miles west of New York City. 

At around 11:02 a.m. EST — 35 minutes after the earthquake hit — a beeping emergency text alert was sent out informing residents about the earthquake and urging residents to remain indoors and contact 911 if they are injured. At approximately 11:46 a.m. EST, the city released another alarm warning of aftershocks. The same text from officials also said New Yorkers can continue with usual activities. 

During the earthquake, the university was in operation. Classes were in session, Ram Van shuttles traveled across the two campuses and the university’s admitted student day events were proceeding during the tremors. 

Robert Fitzer, associate vice president for public safety said that the campuses will remain open and operate as scheduled. He added that members of the university community will be updated as necessary.

“Our initial assessment indicates no apparent damage to Fordham’s buildings, but we are continuing to survey all campuses for any breakages or damage,” he said. Christine de la Pena, Gabelli School of Business at Rose Hill ’24, was working her shift at the Ram Van office when the earthquake hit New York City. Located in the basement of the parking garage, she shared that she and her co-workers had safety concerns because they could hear the cars rattling above them. 

“I thought it was a car passing by but after it lasted longer than five seconds, we realized it might be something worse,” she said. “We were all pretty still for a moment and when it passed, we were like ‘okay, are there next steps or (should we) stay where we were.”

Fitzer acknowledged the possibility of aftershocks in the form of “weaker tremors.”

“If you are outdoors, do be aware of possible falling objects if you are near buildings or other structures,” he said. 

Community members who see damage or need assistance are encouraged to call public safety immediately. 

Maryam Beshara contributed additional reporting to this story.