SUBSCRIBE TO THE OBSERVER'S WEEKLY NEWSLETTER:

Tetlow’s Second President’s Ball Fosters Campus Unity

The weather conditions and rain did not prevent students from partaking in one of Fordham’s traditions
COURTESY OF NALINI D’SOUZA
Even with the rain pouring outside the tents at this year’s President’s Ball, Fordham students from both campuses came together for music, food and dancing.

Amid a relentless downpour, Fordham University’s annual President’s Ball illuminated a gloomy night with the warmth of camaraderie. The intercampus event united the university’s two student bodies, inviting students from Fordham Lincoln Center and Fordham Rose Hill to celebrate the night on Edward’s Parade at the Rose Hill campus. 

A staple of the university’s social calendar, the President’s Ball is traditionally a time of celebration and elegance. High hopes were abuzz for the student body. Zoe Comstock, Fordham College at Rose Hill (FCRH) ’25, has attended the President’s Ball throughout all three years of her enrollment and said that she came to experience a “live Fordham event” where so many familiar faces would be present. 

Nalini D’Souza’s, Fordham College at Lincoln Center (FCLC) ’26 and a second-time attendee, said her expectation for this year’s President’s Ball was a “myriad of tightly packed, jumping-up-and-down, sweaty bodies,” and she wasn’t too far off.  According to D’Souza, the picture was complete with the presence of University President Tania Tetlow.

This year, the event reinforced the importance of intercampus gatherings in fostering a stronger sense of community.

In fact, one of the most anticipated moments of the evening was Tetlow’s arrival. Known for her warm and approachable demeanor, the president greeted students under the tent on Edward’s Parade but notably refrained from shaking hands with attendees. This subtle shift in her usual approach struck a chord with many, leaving students to wonder the reason behind the president’s reservations. 

Isabel Velazco, FCLC ’24, said she knew “a lot of people who were going to come but last-minute did not, so I was concerned there wouldn’t be good energy.” Even so, the joint celebration was a testament to the enduring bond between Fordham’s two campuses.

Despite the hourlong, vertigo-inducing Ram Van ride that often divides the Rose Hill and Lincoln Center campuses as well as concerns regarding the rain, students came together to scream the lyrics to chart-toppers such as Olivia Rodrigo’s “Good 4 U” and Bad Bunny’s “Effecto.” The music became a unifying force, and students were drenched but delighted as the weather did not affect the event’s program.

While a shared enthusiasm for music was present, eventgoers remarked on the predictable playlist. The DJ’s setlist mirrored that of last year’s President’s Ball, evoking memories of high school dances and 2000s Digicam weddings and suggesting a need for a fresh infusion of creativity and originality. 

Not too far from the slippery dance floor sat food tables, at which students commented on a noticeable change in the food quality. While President’s Ball has never been celebrated for its fine dining or culinary delights, attendees were served single-package Chocolate Chip Grandma’s Cookies alongside the usual fare this year. 

“They had mac and cheese bites … chicken tenders, watermelon, cookies and I think pigs in blankets,” Trish Scully, FCRH ’25, said. “The food was pretty good but it was just the food you would get in the caf.”

The downgrade from grocery store cookies to vending machine contraband left many scratching their heads and further underscored the questions surrounding the allocation of university resources: Is Fordham divesting from the President’s Ball?

Despite these hiccups, the President’s Ball remained a poignant kick-off for Fordham’s homecoming weekend, ushering in a sense of unity across the university as well as anticipation for the upcoming school year. 

This year, the event reinforced the importance of intercampus gatherings in fostering a stronger sense of community — where one, in line for chicken tenders and mac-and-cheese bites, could lean toward a student from the opposing campus and observe the music, food or Porta Potties together. 

The rain, rather than being a hindrance, acted as a symbol of good fortune. The old wives’ belief that rain on a wedding day is a sign of luck seemed fitting. As students danced the night away under the indigo strobe lights, the incoming storm blessed the union of Fordham’s campuses, infusing the night with an extra touch of magic.