Fordham Hosts Its Biggest Event Since Beginning of the Pandemic

Thousands of students from both campuses came together on Oct. 8 for a night of dancing at the President’s Ball

ALICE MORENO

The Presidentʼs Ball was held outside under a tent on Edwards Parade on Oct. 8.

By TARA LENTELL

For the first time in a year and a half, Fordham students from both the Lincoln Center and Rose Hill campuses came together for the President’s Ball on Oct. 8. Approximately 3,400 students attended. 

First-year and sophomore students experienced the event for the first time, and many seniors returned for a bittersweet final “Prez Ball” dance. 

The President’s Ball was first held in 2003 when the Rev. Joseph M. McShane, S.J., began his work at Fordham. Eighteen years later, McShane hosted his last President’s Ball, shaking students’ hands on their way in the door. 

The event began at 9 p.m. Bianca Ortega, Fordham College at Lincoln Center (FCLC) ’25, said her favorite part of the night was getting ready in her friend’s room and hearing each other’s opinions on their dresses, hair and makeup.

Lincoln Center students had the option to take a bus to and from the event, which left in front of McKeon Hall at 7:45 p.m. and arrived at Rose Hill by 9 p.m. Many Lincoln Center students stopped for photos before heading to the dance. Because of COVID-19 precautions, the event was held outside under a large tent. In the past, the dance has been held in Lombardi Center. 

Fordham hired James Tubridy from DJs@Work. Tubridy co-founded the company with his brother and Fordham alumnus, Tim Tubridy, Fordham College at Rose Hill (FCRH) ’99.

“I feel so old after a year of COVID. I feel like a chaperone at a prom, I just feel like an old woman. I’m seeing all these kids who I’ve never seen on campus before.” Addison Kitrel, FCRH ’22

Abigail Robejsek, FCRH ’22, said that she last attended the dance her sophomore year. The biggest differences for her this year were that it was outside, and that she had to greet a lot more staff coming into the dance. 

Another student, Addison Kitrel, FCRH ’22, said she chose to attend the event again this year because it was fun when she went during her first and second years and this year was her last opportunity to attend before she graduates.

“I feel so old after a year of COVID. I feel like a chaperone at a prom, I just feel like an old woman. I’m seeing all these kids who I’ve never seen on campus before,” Kitrel said.

For many Lincoln Center first-year students, the President’s Ball was their first introduction to the Rose Hill campus.

For many Lincoln Center first-year students, the President’s Ball was their first introduction to the Rose Hill campus. The first-years didn’t know quite what to expect from the event, especially since many did not experience homecoming, prom or concerts over the past two years.  

Zoe Mwanza, FCLC 25, said that she anticipated that there would be more tables. She also thought it would be a lot more formal. 

With the event ending at 1 a.m., most of the students left by 12:45 a.m.

Michael Trerotola, special assistant to the president, was in charge of working with vendors and campus partners to plan and execute the President’s Ball. He said that “everyone seemed to have a great time,” and received a lot of thanks from students for hosting the ball again this year.