The Inaugural President’s Ball: Fordham’s Finest Swoon Under the Tent

A ‘Bridgerton’-inspired take on the season’s opening ball for undergraduate students from both Lincoln Center and Rose Hill’s campuses

MARISOL DIAZ-GORDON

Students celebrate University President Tania Tetlow’s first President’s Ball.

By CHAISE JONES

It is the time of year again when students from both Lincoln Center (LC) and Rose Hill enjoy a weekend of homecoming events, beginning with the President’s Inaugural Ball (Pres Ball). On Sept. 16, the student body officially welcomed University President Tania Tetlow, J.D., to the Fordham Ramily.

The fateful night for LC students began with a luxurious carriage ride (in the form of a coach bus) along the Henry Hudson Parkway. Students were then led to Eddies Parade where the ball was located.

A chilly breeze settled over Rose Hill, welcoming a night of celebration. Cecilia Frazier, Fordham College at Lincoln Center (FCLC) ’23, remarked that, “The setting of the lawn was perfect for the great weather that night.” 

Upon arrival, Tetlow and her daughter, Lucy, greeted the illustrious guests — the students. She shook hands and invited them in with a friendly smile and warm energy. Although dress code for the ball was semiformal attire, the students were an assorted bunch. Some were in long gowns, others in bow ties and slacks, and several in jeans. 

Fifteen circular tables were scattered on either side of the dance floor for those who wanted a break from the festivities throughout the night.

The tables were located under the tent, but there were not nearly enough to seat those who stood aimlessly around the drink and food tables. While the food sustained ballgoers, the selection reminded one of a Yankees’ game outing rather than a traditional inaugural ball.

The food supplied included fried mac and cheese bites, mini Philly cheesesteaks, and asiago arancini. Drink tables were adorned with sweet tea, lemonade and water dispensers. 

“As an LC student, I think we sometimes feel excluded from the school spirit of Rose Hill, so events like these are a good way to bring Lincoln Center and Rose Hill students together.” Christina Ioannides, FCLC ’25

First-time Pres Ball attendee Owami Masiyandima-Mlotshwa, FCLC ’24, said she was “expecting something similar to a high school homecoming dance,” and her wish was Pres Ball’s command. The ball was a semi-formal event with subpar food and music from the 2010s. 

The DJ, orchestrating the rhythmic movements of the night, stood on a raised platform above the crowd. Students took their spots on the small wooden floor reserved for dancing. 

The heralded DJ played fan favorites: “You Belong with Me” by Taylor Swift; Pitch Perfect’s “Riff Off;” “Starships” by Nicki Minaj; “That’s What Makes You Beautiful” by One Direction; and “Gasolina” by Daddy Yankee. 

While classic balls enjoyed dances such as la boulangere and the quadrille, students instead followed along to the “Cha Cha Slide” and the “Cupid Shuffle.” 

“My ten year old wanted to put on her best dress and come, and she was very impressed by everyone’s outfits.” University President Tania Tetlow, J.D.

Masiyandima-Mlotshwa said that her “favorite part about Pres Ball was how the dance floor united students from LC and Rose Hill.” 

Christina Ioannides, FCLC ’25, a staff writer at The Observer who also attended Pres Ball for the first time, said, “As an LC student, I think we sometimes feel excluded from the school spirit of Rose Hill, so events like these are a good way to bring Lincoln Center and Rose Hill students together.”

While Pres Ball was quite spirited, space, food and transportation were problems brought up by the student body. The dance floor was too small to fit all the attendees, leading some to find solace on the grass nearby. 

Though Fordham provided some Lincoln Center students with free transportation to and from the ball, there were too few Ram Vans available to take students home if they did not sign up early enough to ride the coach bus. 

Frazier noted her frustration with the transportation options for LC students, stating that there was an “influx of students who were not supported by the bus.” Many students had to leave the ball early to find their own way home. 

Despite its flaws, Pres Ball was an elegant opportunity for Fordham debutantes to dance the night away. 

“Out of all the Fordham events I’ve been to, this was probably one of the most fun,” Ioannides said.

Tetlow also enjoyed the opportunity to spend time with the student body — and with her daughter. 

“My ten year old wanted to put on her best dress and come, and she was very impressed by everyone’s outfits,” she said. “She finds it mortifying when I dance though, but I talked her into one line dance with me.” 

Tetlow’s introduction to the Fordham student body at Pres Ball was a night that ended in happily ever after for all.