Students and Administration Celebrate Grand Opening of McMahon RamFit Center

The event gathered over 125 attendees, some of which critiqued the availability and utility of the space

The+grand+opening+celebration+for+the+RamFit+Center+featured+snacks%2C+refreshments+and+reusable+water+bottles+for+students.+

ANDREW DRESSNER

The grand opening celebration for the RamFit Center featured snacks, refreshments and reusable water bottles for students.

By MEGAN YERRABELLI

The Offices of Student Involvement (OSI) and Residential Life (ResLife), alongside Dean of Students at Lincoln Center Jenifer Campbell, hosted a grand opening celebration of the McMahon RamFit Center on Jan. 19, a week after the center became fully operational. The first 250 students to attend the event were given a reusable water bottle with the RamFit logo on the front, and light snacks were provided while students toured the new equipment and machinery. According to Christina Frankovic-Sepsi, interim director of student involvement, there were approximately 125 students in attendance and 50 university staff members. 

The fitness center was designed by Joseph Scaltro, director of engineering services. Scaltro worked with OSI and ResLife to organize the gym’s soft opening, which took place from Dec. 12-20. During that period, the center debuted its cardio and weight rooms for student use. The multipurpose studios were then available after the gym fully reopened Jan. 12, and the area is now accessible to students and faculty. 

According to students who were present during the launch, the gym was almost at full capacity during and following the event.  

Emma Ritchie, Fordham College at Lincoln Center (FCLC) ’25, arrived at the gym with a friend around 4 p.m., nearly two hours after the event had concluded, and noted that she struggled to find a space to workout. 

Despite the large number of students who attended the event and visited the facilities, there were mixed reactions from gymgoers about the type of equipment provided and how the space was organized.

“We could hardly get any machines to use,” Ritchie said. “The gym was pretty busy. Specifically, the cardio room and weight room were very full.”

Despite the large number of students who attended the event and visited the facilities, there were mixed reactions from gymgoers about the type of equipment provided and how the space was organized. Taehun Kim, Gabelli School of Business at Lincoln Center (GSBLC) ‘25, felt that the weight room was lacking in certain aspects. For example, he noted that the weights only go up to 50 pounds. Kim added that the weight section needs dumbbells going up to 100 pounds, another squat rack or power rack, and at least two more bench presses. 

“Those movements are essential for compound exercises,” he said. “Anyone who does exercise seriously knows how important compounds is.”

Attendees also criticized a shortage of locker space and the ResLife policies that have been instituted for renting those lockers.

The signs posted on each locker say, “‘Locker Rentals are available for the semester for an additional cost. If you are interested in renting a locker for the semester, please come by the main office, MCM 108 to inquire more information. Please note: all unregistered locks will be clipped.”

According to the Office of Residential Life, each locker costs $50 per semester and there are fewer than 30 currently available for use. 

Isaak Abud, GSBLC ’25, noticed these signs when touring the gym after the event. 

“It’s a weird decision to not only put so few lockers on a campus of 5,000, but then also make none available after rentals, not to mention the additional cost after tuition prices,” Abud said. “I feel like the lockers should be first come, first serve like most gyms.”

Despite a few complaints, some students were excited that Lincoln Center students now had access to these new facilities. Vishesh Chawla, GSBLC ’25 and vice president of the Commuting Student’s Association, gave insight to how the gym will benefit commuters who struggle to find fitness space near their home. 

“I think what commuter students struggle in is to find a gym around their house and to dedicate time to that gym,” Chawla said. “Because it’s convenient for them before and after classes, they can just come and de-stress themselves and maybe take a shower or meet their friends here.”

“I think it’s going to help bridge the gap between commuters and residents to act as a specific lounge space where both of them can meet.” Vishesh Chawla, GSBLC ’25

He also mentioned how the new space can support more commuter-resident interactions on campus.

“I think it’s going to help bridge the gap between commuters and residents to act as a specific lounge space where both of them can meet,” he said. 

Campbell also commented on her positive expectations of the new facilities and says she is excited about the possibilities that RamFit will provide.

“I think students are going to enjoy it. It’s a nice testament to us being able to improve the offerings for students,” Campbell said.

The RamFit Center will operate from 7 a.m. to 10:30 p.m. Monday through Friday and 9 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday. The dean’s newsletter noted that the gym’s cleaning and restocking hours will take place from 11 a.m. to 12 p.m. and 5 p.m. to 6 p.m, during which the center will be closed. 

Andrew Dressner contributed additional reporting to this story.