Updates Announced Regarding Search for University President

The chair of the board of trustees projects the announcement will be made in the spring of 2022

MOLLY HIGGINS

McShane’s photo will soon join the other past Fordham presidents on the wall, and the university hopes to announce the next president in the spring.

By MARYAM BESHARA

Robert D. Daleo, chair of the Board of Trustees, updated members of the Fordham community in an email on Nov. 29 on the ongoing search for the university’s next president. Daleo provided a link to the university’s Leadership Profile, which includes information regarding desired characteristics for the future university president.

WittKieffer, a company hired by Fordham to lead the search, has held 30 listening sessions since the beginning of the academic year, along with members of the search committee. In the email, Daleo includes that the listening sessions were open to faculty members, staff, students, trustees, key donors, alumni and parents to attend. 

Sean de Ganon, Fordham College at Lincoln Center ’22 and a senior senator for United Student Government, expressed that he found the listening sessions to be held at inconvenient times for students since they conflicted with classes. 

Members of the search committee asked for and received input on opportunities and challenges for the new president, as well as Fordham points of pride that should be mentioned with candidates.

“I have heard only cursory updates, not anything else,” he said. “I am graduating, so this will not necessarily affect me, but it will affect other students. I do worry for them.”

On Sept. 13, WittKieffer held a listening session, asking those in attendance questions about what they hoped to see in the next university president. At this listening session, only 15 students attended. The subsequent listening sessions have followed the same format of discussion, with attendees having the opportunity to ask questions and to make comments about their aspirations for Fordham’s next president and the characteristics they would hope to see in a president. 

Daleo included that members of the search committee asked for and received input on opportunities and challenges for the new president, as well as Fordham points of pride that should be mentioned with candidates. 

“The next President needs to … enact positive changes that reflect the mood of all parties at the University.” Sean de Ganon, FCLC ’22

The university states within the Leadership Profile that it seeks a visionary, collaborative and mission-driven leader to serve as its 33rd president. De Ganon said he would love a unifying president vetted by all parts of Fordham which includes the faculty, administration, support staff and students. 

“I hear these concerns all the time. The next President needs to undertake comprehensive listening sessions — hear from all the vested groups and enact positive changes that reflect the mood of all parties at the University,” de Ganon said. 

Through the Leadership Profile students can access a form to provide additional input and links to the previous listening sessions about the search. 

Daleo updated that the search is proceeding on schedule. Under the procedure for candidacy section of the Leadership Profile, it is noted that candidates have until Dec. 6 to submit their applications through WittKieffer’s candidate portal to receive full consideration for the position. 

“The committee, aided by the executive search firm WittKieffer, is assembling a diverse pool of talented candidates with Fordham’s academic mission, reputation, and Jesuit, Catholic character at the forefront of their efforts,” Daleo said in the email. 

Rev. Joseph M. McShane, S.J., discussed his thoughts about his departure to both the Fordham Ram and the Observer in a student press conference on Nov. 11. McShane said he was surprised by the low attendance rate. 

The executive summary also highlights that the new president must be someone with demonstrated leadership experience in higher education and a deep knowledge of and ability to promote the Catholic, Jesuit mission. 

“A lay person would provide the real-world experience that in my view at least, Jesuits lack because they are priests.” Sean de Ganon

In discussing his successor, McShane noted that nothing stands in the way of a layperson or a woman from being the next university president. 

“A lay person would provide the real-world experience that in my view at least, Jesuits lack because they are priests,” de Ganon said.

At the press conference, McShane also told student journalists from both the Fordham Ram and the Observer that he excludes himself from any conversations about the new president in board meetings because he does not want anyone to think he is choosing his own successor. He said that he was interviewed by WittKieffer once but has removed himself from participating in the search further. 

In the email, Daleo notified the Fordham community that he expects to give another update in early January. The search committee is expected to present a candidate list to the Board of Trustees in early 2022 and intends to announce the university’s next president in the spring. McShane stated to the student press that he suspects and hopes the search will be done by March.