USG Reviews Fall Semester Accomplishments

VanGostein and Pulatani reflect on the two new committees created as well as reforms on campus

ANDREW DRESSNER

Joe VanGostein, president of USG, reflects on the accomplishments of USG this semester such as the formation of two new committees and the candidate turnout for the 2021 USG election.

By SOFIA VAN NATTA

Following the first semester back on campus after a year, president of the United Student Government (USG) at Lincoln Center Joe VanGostein, Gabelli School of Business at Lincoln Center ’22, reflected on his accomplishments and fulfillment of campaign promises so far. 

One part of the semester that VanGostein mentioned he was proud of is the USG 2021 elections, which for the first time in nine years, filled every open position

“This year 25 people ran for three elective spots whereas last year only two people ran,” he said. 

USG has undergone many changes this past semester, including no longer holding meetings in mock trial fashion. The mock-trial-styled meetings were meant to simulate a professional political setting. VanGostein noted this change affected the participation at meetings compared to when he first joined USG.  

VanGostein runs his meetings with his own personal style. Meetings are far more informal, or according to him — inviting.

“During my freshman year I was too scared to speak up in meetings since it was so formal,” VanGostein said. Now all 25 of Lincoln Center’s USG members sit in a circle on the floor to discuss their ideas and goals for Fordham. 

VanGostein runs his meetings with his own personal style. Meetings are far more informal, or according to him — inviting. He encourages icebreakers, like chubby bunny, to stimulate natural conversation between every USG member.

Megha Thyagarajan, Fordham College at Lincoln Center (FCLC) ’25, and first-year senator, enjoys the change in atmosphere at USG and feels that the difference in class years does not contribute to any sense of divide. 

“As chairman of CSM — I am very interested in working toward a greater form of campus community, where we hold one another accountable for our actions.” Djellza Pulatani, FCLC ’24

This semester, USG approved two new committees, one committee for sexual misconduct (CSM) and another for diversity, equity, and inclusion. Djellza Pulatani, FCLC ’24 and vice president of USG, is the current chair of CSM and spearheaded the committee’s advocacy for victims of sexual misconduct. 

“I have a lot of informative events planned in the future that will be informative and hopefully will help create a very safe space for all members,” Pulatani said. “As chairman of CSM — I am very interested in working toward a greater form of campus community, where we hold one another accountable for our actions.”

VanGostein and members of USG approved the diversity, equity and inclusion support group by reaching out to heads of cultural and social identity clubs, as well as The Observer, to raise issues their clubs are experiencing. Thyagarajan wants to host an activity-based compassion seminar where people of all backgrounds have a space to come together and share their experiences.

In addition to forming new committees, VanGostein also continued the tradition of hosting the inaugural picnic for incoming first-years and planned a networking dinner to form inter-club connections.

VanGostein and Pulatani encourage the student body to email them ideas they may have for new events or reforms. Both of the club leaders make a point to consistently check their inboxes and quickly respond or follow up with students. There is currently a take-one, leave-one library in the works for next semester, where students can take a book that they are interested in reading and later replace it with a book they would recommend for someone else to read. 

From this semester, VanGostein is proudest of USG’s steps toward sustainability on campus. He encouraged Ram Cafe and Argo Tea to start using paper straws and biodegradable cutlery, renewed composting programs in McKeon and McMahon and canceled the use of plastic USG-branded pens.

“These pens are just going to be discarded, adding to plastic waste on campus,” VanGostein said. “Also, it helps save the school a bit of money.” 

Overall, VanGostein said he was happy with the positive changes this semester. VanGostein said that he looks forward to continuing his work making Fordham Lincoln Center an informed, inclusive and inviting place.