Men’s Basketball Has Exciting Second Week

Fordham+Basketball+team+practices+on+the+basketball+court.+%28PHOTO+BY+LAUREN+MACDONALD%2F+THE+OBSERVER%29+

Fordham Basketball team practices on the basketball court. (PHOTO BY LAUREN MACDONALD/ THE OBSERVER)

By MOHDSHOBAIR HUSSAINI

With week two of the Fordham men’s basketball season in the books, the Rams stand with an overall record of 3-1. As they headed into the Thanksgiving break, Coach Jeff Neubauer and his squad hosted both Fairleigh Dickinson University (FDU) and Colgate University.

On Nov. 21, the Rose Hill Gym was home to an afternoon match up between Fairleigh Dickinson’s Knights (1-2) and Fordham’s Rams (1-1). This historic matchup was the first ever between these two teams on the hardwood, with Fordham having a 55-27 overall record against teams currently in the Northeast Conference. Fordham started off the game early, jumping to a 10-2 lead with 4:25 into the game. FDU answered back three minutes later, by cutting down the lead 10-7. With 8:11 remaining in the first half, the two teams went back and forth, with Fordham leading 17-16. Coach Neubauer’s squad then went on a seven point run, extending their lead to 24-16 with 6:29 left on the clock. The Rams continued to push offensively, finishing the first half with a 35-22 lead. In the second half, Fordham grew its lead to sixteen points before FDU cut back to make it a twelve point game. Despite this, Coach Neubauer’s team pulled through, winning with a final score of 85-62. Fordham was led by freshman guard Joseph Chartouny and sophomore forward Christian Sengfelder, who combined for thirty points. Ryan Canty, a graduate student, scored a double-double with his twelve points and ten rebounds. Senior guard Mandell Thomas and senior forward Ryan Rhoomes also chipped in 11 and 12 points, respectively, making it clear that Coach Neubauer’s offensive scheme is no one-man show.

On Nov. 24, Fordham (2-1) once against played as hosts, but this time to Colgate University’s Raiders (1-2). This contest marked the 31st meeting between Fordham and Colgate, with the Rams leading the all-time series 20-10. In the most recent matchup between these two schools on December 10, 2013, Fordham was victorious with a final score of 77-73. Thomas, then a sophomore, netted in eighteen points. In this matchup, the Rams jumped ahead to a 16-6 lead in the first half. The Raiders fought back to make it a two-point game, 24-22 with 5:19 left. Heading into halftime, Coach Neubauer’s squad further extended their lead, up 38-27. As the second half tipped off, the Fordham offense heated up with the Rams taking a 52-34 lead. The Raiders would rally back to make it a nine-point game, but it was too little too late. Coach Neubauer and his squad took the win with a final score of 84-58. Fordham’s Rhoomes, Thomas, Chartouny, and Sengfelder all scored in double figures. A major difference maker in this game was the Rams’ ability to knock 17-of-21 shots from the charity-stripe; this only strengthened the team’s chances of taking the win on their home court.

The Rams return to the hardwood next week with three games. First, on Nov. 28, they will host Manhattan College’s Jaspers. Next, on Dec. 2, they will host St. John’s University’s Red Storm. Lastly, on Dec. 5, they will host Central Connecticut State University’s Blue Devils.