College Councils Votes for Simultaneous Registration

By ADRIANA GALLINA

On Thursday, Nov. 13, Fordham College at Lincoln Center’s (FCLC) College Council voted in favor of simultaneous registration for all campuses. The motion will be directed to the Committee of Liberal Arts and Sciences for further discussion and possible implementation.

Robert K. Moniot, associate dean of FCLC, announced major issues with FCLC students registering before Fordham College at Rose Hill (FCRH) students prior to the allowed date. Moniot said, “One hundred sixty-two students disobeyed and enrolled in 236 classes, this is a big task for us.” Moniot continued, “Simply asking students not to register early isn’t working well.”

The current registration protocol has FCLC students registering for their home campus classes a week before FCRH students register for courses. However, FCLC students may not register for FCRH specific classes until about two weeks after FCRH students.

Moniot said students were removed from classes according to their class year and necessities to graduate. “Those who really needed the classes were kept in those courses,” Moniot stated.

“Students are getting ready for jobs, its not just checking a box on the requirement list for graduation,” undergraduate associate chair of communications and media studies, Professor Gwenyth Jackaway, Associate Chair of the Communication and Media Studies program and Associate Professor at Fordham College Lincoln Center (FCLC)  said. “‘Really need’ can look different from a student than a dean, people come here to prepare for their lives,” she said. “Students are understandably frustrated.”

After further discussion, a motion was passed to present a simultaneous registration option to the Arts and Sciences Ad-hoc committee. Sixteen council members were in favor of the motion, while five members abstained. No members objected to simultaneous registration.

Hesitation towards the motion seemed to be in the lack of faith in IT capabilities of handling simultaneous registration between all three colleges: FCLC, FCRH and Gabelli School of Business (GSB). Under the proposed system, the idea is that all seniors would register on the same day, all juniors together and so on.

Leighton Magoon, FCLC ’17 United Student Government treasurer and Student Activities Budget Committee chairperson, said, “I just distrust IT.” He explained that, as a sophomore registering with other sophomores, he experienced technical issues that prevented him from registering for preferred classes before the classes closed.

Jackaway expressed urgency in assuring IT capabilities. “I am strongly in favor of solving the technical problems and in making that investment at whatever it costs,” she said.

The council also discussed making registration policies more clear and publicizing with more time prior to registration dates. The council does not expect changes to be enacted by spring of 2015.

Another major topic of discussion was FCLC access to female security supervisors. Rev. Robert R. Grimes, S.J., Dean of FCLC, announced Director of Security at LC Robert F. Dineen’s, response to the council’s previous inquiries that there are currently nine female staff members day and night at FCLC and four female security supervisors.

Issues arose when considering female students and faculties needs for reporting sexual assault incidents.

Jackaway said, “I’m trying to imagine the experience of a female student or staff member.” “They might not feel safe enough reporting [to a male security supervisor], they might just walk away,” she continued.

Keith Eldredge, dean of students at FCLC, agreed with Jackaway but said, “Often a report comes through [the Office of Residential Life] and we can get a female security supervisor to come down when we report it.”

According to Eldredge, “There are no positions open right now, but [the Office of Public Safety] works hard to hire women, but the type of person qualified comes from the [New York Police Department].” Eldredge went on to explain that the NYPD does not have as many women officers in comparison to their male counterparts.

When asked why Fordham security limits supervisor hiring from the NYPD retiree pool, Eldredge responded, “I don’t think there is anything legally bonding us.”

Grimes said a benefit from having former NYPD as security supervisors is “they know the system in the city. Grimes continued,For example, on 9/11 we had information immediately. We didn’t have to wait for CBS or anything else.They have a great deal of knowledge of how the legal system works.”

The female security supervisor issue remained unresolved. Other topics on the agenda included discussion of Fordham’s Mock Trial successes, prestigious fellowships and scheduling the graduation award ceremony. The Arts and Sciences Faculty day was also announced to be held in the Law school on Feb. 6.