American Horror Story Returns With New Season ‘Delicate’

The latest season may be the most bizarre tale yet on what to suspect when you’re expecting
ANDREA RIVAS
“American Horror Story” makes its return to FX television with the premiere of its 12th season “AHS: Delicate.”

Hit FX television show “American Horror Story” (AHS) returned on Sept. 20 with its 12th season, titled “AHS: Delicate” Based on Danielle Valentine’s book “Delicate Condition,” the story follows a young actress in New York City who is haunted and terrorized by dark forces, living and dead, which she believes are interfering with her dream of getting pregnant.

The widely known anthology series by Ryan Murphy and Brad Falchuk tells fictionalized horror stories and explores the interaction between the dead and the living. Each season has a unique storyline and characters, followed by a peculiar new theme and set. Every new chapter involves what most people fear: ghosts, murderers, witches, freak shows, insane asylums and haunted houses.

Emma Roberts returned for the fifth time since the show premiered in 2011, with her first appearance on the anthology series being in “Coven,” the third season which debuted in 2013. Reality television star Kim Kardashian made her acting debut in “AHS: Delicate” and played Siobhan Corbyn, a publicist for Roberts’ character Anna Victoria, who bears an eerie resemblance to Kardashian’s real-life persona.

This season begs the question: Is Anna the victim, or is she engaged in something evil?

AHS is known for its strange and eerie stories with skin-crawling plotlines. The new season continues the tradition of mixing reality-twisting themes with a mysterious chain of events, successfully generating curiosity and providing its audience with an eagerness to continue the narrative and discover the big secret as the storyline thickens.

This new chapter is one of the most bizarre ones yet. Representing the “delicate” conditions a woman coming face-to-face with infertility goes through to get pregnant, showcasing the medical procedures for fertility and the period the embryo is growing inside the womb. 

The process of becoming pregnant and undergoing medical procedures and surgeries is a delicate topic — as the title states — but adding horror and very unsettling scenes, showing in detail procedures of in vitro fertilization to assist with conception, scenes of miscarriages and gory scenes of rituals make the process of pregnancy and the central theme of the new season feel ominous and perplexing.

The characters in this show are complex in personality. At first glance, Anna appears to be a bright, young, hardworking actress trying to succeed in show business as she desperately hopes to start a family. The deeper the viewer gets into the storyline, however, the more questions are raised. This season begs the question: Is Anna the victim, or is she engaged in something evil? Is she clinically insane, or is someone making her think she is? 

In “AHS: Delicate,” the days are short, the nights are too long, and the ambiance constantly feels hazy.

Even after the first five episodes, there is no concrete evidence that Anna will be labeled as the antagonist or the prey. We see a new side of Anna every minute the show runs. Her character is strange and displays bizarre behaviors; one moment she is a sweet, caring person, and the next, she has evolved into something dark and unsettling. 

Anna resembles the cracked mirror hanging on her wall: the mirror is broken into tiny pieces, showing her distorted reflection, yet the mirror has not fallen, and it is still standing tall. The audience is left wondering if the mirror, Anna, will ever fully shatter.  

Each episode of this season slowly unravels little details and frightening moments. In “AHS: Delicate,” the days are short, the nights are too long, and the ambiance constantly feels hazy. The cinematography creates a sense that the main character is always being watched, the hills have eyes, and nowhere is safe. Knowing too little or too much serves as great danger. 

The episodes end on cliffhangers, so all you can do is wait until the following week for it to air on television.

Season 12, part one, concluded with a cliffhanger that made me pause and replay the scene to fully comprehend what happened.

The  2023 SAG-AFTRA strike, which concluded on Nov. 9, caused the season to be split into two parts since filming was paused until demands could be met 

The release date of part two is still unknown. While the show is expected to return next year, it is still being determined what month the second half of “AHS: Delicate”  will arrive, leaving fans waiting to see Anna fight on her own to understand what’s happening as hallucinations and nightmares are becoming more prominent in her life. 

The wait continues until the arrival of the story’s conclusion and the season finale of “AHS: Delicate.”

18
View Comments (18)
ANDREA RIVAS, Staff Writer

• K

KrisDec 8, 2023 at 9:03 pm

Small correction: Kim Kardashian graced the screen from the Tyler Perry movie Temptation. That was 2013, and released an adult film in 2007, so this was not her acting debut.

Reply
  • R

RyanDec 8, 2023 at 7:03 pm

Made me think a new season was out like you said it came out in September why are you reporting on it now and it was so boring I stopped watching it …

Reply
    • A

Andrea RivasJan 28, 2024 at 11:08 pm

I wrote the story in September but it got delayed due to publishing. It is not a writer’s fault if a story gets released late.

Reply
  • B

BrendaDec 8, 2023 at 3:35 pm

They stopped at episode 5. What happened???

Reply
    • M

Miss BDec 11, 2023 at 11:07 pm

Writer’s strike happened.

Reply
  • S

SanDec 8, 2023 at 12:51 pm

Kim made this season so awful I couldn’t even finish it. I was intrigued, but I just couldn’t get through another episode of her monotone lines and blank expression.

Reply
  • R

RobynDec 8, 2023 at 11:35 am

No Kardashians!!!!

Reply
  • A

AmandaDec 8, 2023 at 8:05 am

Whoever wrote this article needs a different job. This season of AHS has been back for months now. To write it as though it’s the second part that has finally returned is not okay for readers. Please publish more accurate information.

Reply
    • A

Andrea RivasJan 28, 2024 at 11:04 pm

I wrote this when the show came out, editors and publishing takes time. There was never a mention that part two was already released. It’s not the writer’s fault if publishing takes time.

Reply
    • A

Andrea RivasJan 28, 2024 at 11:11 pm

I wrote the story in September but it got delayed due to publishing. It is not a writer’s fault if a story gets released late. It was never mentioned that the second part had returned, not even the writers at the time had said when the show would return.

Reply
  • J

Jennifer M. BargeDec 8, 2023 at 8:03 am

Actually you should fact check yourself. This is not Kim Kardashians first role in a TV show.
    She had a role in Drop Dead Diva for one season.
    I think she’s great in both of those shows.
    And I’m not being snarky about Kim, just factual.
    Thanks

Reply
  • C

Courtnie L TurneyDec 8, 2023 at 6:54 am

Sure it’s going to suck … Ahs is on it’s swift way out my rotation and many others from what I’ve heard really a shame the show used to be good

Reply
  • R

RubyDec 7, 2023 at 9:19 pm

I love these stories to stop them abruptly is very cruel I can understand if there issues I’m sure it’s not just the writers anyway please I’m excited to see what happens the character portrays schizophrenia

Reply
    • B

BrentDec 8, 2023 at 12:55 pm

It’s cruel for people not to be paid their worth more, right?

Reply
    • K

K TaylorDec 8, 2023 at 2:14 pm

I just wished online articles would actually tell us all what their titles say lol… Read all this and still no word of when it’s actually coming back on😂🤷🏾‍♀️

Reply
      • A

Andrea RivasJan 28, 2024 at 11:06 pm

Thank you for reading but the writers of the series haven’t announced the return of the show. I can’t publish unknown dates and information.

Reply
      • A

Andrea RivasJan 28, 2024 at 11:13 pm

Thank you for reading but the writers of the series had not mentioned when the second part would be released.

Reply
    • B

BDUBBDec 8, 2023 at 3:40 pm

I know right I totally agree

Reply