Students Must Take Action

Lately it seems everyone is protesting. Whether abroad or at home, gathering in groups and fighting for a cause has become part of the norm. And it’s easy to see why. Social media helps escalate the message of one small group, enabling it to reach thousands online. As we read about rallies in the news and our Facebook newsfeeds, we see how petitioning creates change. Whether you’re a loud New Yorker on Wall Street or an angry Syrian in the city of Homs, protesting allows citizens to express their frustration and show they’re no longer content with standing on the sidelines.

According to Monique John and Rex Sakamoto’s article on page one entitled, “FCLC Students Join Protesters in NYC SlutWalk,” it’s clear that some students are intent on seeking justice and becoming informed. They educate themselves on system flaws and participate in causes by marching or using other outlets to communicate their viewpoints. They actively pursue objective news reports and unbiased accounts from both those directly involved and those commenting from a distance. But this group is often the minority.

A number of students remain unaware of current events that could possibly have a significant effect on government legislation. Too many of us briefly skim headlines without knowing the root cause of the issues at hand. Even though it’s right outside our walls, we don’t make the effort to see what all the commotion is about. We’ll check out pictures and see posts on Twitter, but unless our friend is protesting, many of us are reluctant to learn more.

It is important as students and citizens that we try to understand issues and controversies, directly impacting those around us. Especially in Manhattan, where rallies are currently happening just a subway ride downtown, we should make an effort to recognize why so many are actively engaging in such large-scale events.

While some may discredit protesters as ignorant masses of people who just want to stir up trouble, there are many people with opinionated voices who are passionate about what they believe and do feel that outwardly showing their support or aversion will make a difference.

The Wall Street protest and others like it are sure to continue in our city. Freedom of speech is one of the great liberties we receive through the First Amendment. We can sit back and waste our opportunity to speak out or we can actively pursue knowledge and understand why sign-holders are chanting for change.