Fordham University Inaugurates Tania Tetlow as 33rd President

‘Fordham’s Jesuit and Catholic mission, the very essence of our university’s existence, is safe in her hands’

MEGAN YERRABELLI

Tetlow’s inauguration ceremony hosted several guests including U.S. Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer.

By MEGAN YERRABELLI

University President Tania Tetlow, J.D., was inaugurated on Friday, Oct. 14, as the 33rd and first laywoman president of Fordham University on Edwards Parade at the Rose Hill campus. Fordham has only held two other presidential inauguration ceremonies in almost 200 years. 

The Inauguration Steering Committee organized the ceremony. The committee was led by Vice President for Mission Integration and Ministry John J. Cecero, S.J.; Vice President for Development and University Relations Roger A. Milici Jr.; and Trustee of the University and Chair of the Advancement Committee Susan Conley Salice. In addition to the Inauguration Steering Committee, there was an Inauguration Advisory Committee which was composed of several faculty members and students.

The event began with the ringing of the Victory Bell, located in front of the Rose Hill Gymnasium, and was immediately followed by an academic procession during which numerous academic dignitaries marched down Edwards Parade wearing their traditional academic attire.

The Victory Bell was presented to Fordham by Admiral Chester W. Nimitz in 1944, and on May 11, 1946, President Harry S. Truman became the first person to ring the bell on campus.

John J. Drummond, president of the University Faculty Senate and distinguished professor of philosophy and the humanities, led the Fordham Army ROTC Color Guard and representatives from the student body and alumni community.

Delegates from numerous universities attended, led by Milici. Professor of Counseling Psychology Merle Keite followed with members of the university’s faculty. Cecero followed, with the university’s administrators, deans and officers trailing him. Armando Nuñez Jr., chair-elect of the board of trustees, came after with the rest of the university’s trustees. 

Finally, Salice escorted the inauguration program participants, former University President Rev. Joseph M. McShane, S.J.; Chair of the Board of Trustees Robert D. Daleo; and the guest of honor, Tetlow.

The Inauguration Steering Committee organized the ceremony and was composed of several faculty members and students from within the Fordham community. (MEGAN YERRABELLI)

Daleo delivered the welcome address, in which he congratulated Tetlow on being the first laywoman president of Fordham University. He expressed Tetlow’s dedication to the university and its Jesuit principles. 

“Fordham’s Jesuit and Catholic mission, the very essence of our university’s existence, is safe in her hands,” he said.

Following Daleo’s welcome address, Cardinal Timothy Dolan, the archbishop of New York, gave the invocation. 

Keynote speaker Marc H. Morial, president and CEO of the National Urban League, described his long-lasting friendship with Tetlow during his speech. Morial first met Tetlow when she was 18 years old and volunteered on his congressional campaign team. 

Morial described Tetlow as a “steel magnolia.”

“She has this incredible humility, this charm, but this underbelly of strength and determination,” he said.

After Morial concluded his address, U.S. Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer offered his greetings to Tetlow. Schumer was not originally in the event program and was a last-minute addition to the order of ceremonies. 

In his speech, Schumer affirmed that Tetlow is the perfect president needed to lead Fordham through its recovery from the COVID-19 pandemic.

“There’s still a lot of unanswered questions about what the future will look like in our great state and country,” Schumer said. “I know that President Tetlow’s experience responding to Hurricane Katrina in New Orleans will add much-needed experience and expertise to our continuing response here in New York.”

The subsequent speeches were delivered by members of Fordham’s faculty, staff, administration and students.

“I stand in front of you proud of all of the women who laid the foundation for future generations of Fordham women to succeed.” Djellza Pulatani, president of United Student Government

Djellza Pulatani, president of United Student Government (USG) at Lincoln Center, and Santiago Vidal Calvo, executive president of USG at Rose Hill, spoke on behalf of the student body.

Pulatani spoke on Tetlow’s feat as the first woman president of the university and its significance to generations of Fordham women alumni. 

“I stand in front of you proud of all of the women who laid the foundation for future generations of Fordham women to succeed,” Pulatani said. “The women who came before me and fought for me to stand where I am. I stand here inspired by a woman like President Tetlow.”

The final keynote address was given by President Emeritus of Rockhurst University Rev. Thomas B. Curran, S.J. He spoke about necessary improvements in higher education and how Tetlow’s academic experience has prepared her well to undertake this task. 

The university held its third inauguration ceremony in its 200 year history, welcoming Tetlow as its 33rd and first laywoman president. (MEGAN YERRABELLI)

“Discourse in the public square is needed. Higher education needs to be available, affordable and valuable,” he said. “Tania knows firsthand how access and affordability to higher education can be transformative.” 

Curran added that as a recipient of a National Merit Scholarship, a Dean’s Scholarship to Tulane University and a Truman Scholarship, Tetlow is “keenly aware of what is essential to Jesuit education.”

Following Curran’s keynote address, Nuñez introduced the final portion of the ceremony: the installation and investiture of Tetlow.

“As a mark of our confidence in President Tetlow, we now entrust to her two symbols of the university to carry forward our proud 181-year history,” Nuñez said.

McShane presented Tetlow with the first symbol, the mace of the university. 

After she received the chain of office, Tetlow gave her inaugural address. She revealed plans to make a difference at Fordham and surrounding communities by highlighting goals such as making the university’s education more accessible while preserving its academic excellence.

“Nineteen years ago, the 31st president of Fordham, the late Joseph A. O’Hare, S.J., entrusted to me the mace of the university,” McShane said. “Today, I have the great honor of continuing the tradition.”

The mace signifies Fordham’s authority to award academic degrees on behalf of the State of New York. The mace was originally a gift from the Fordham University Alumni Federation. It bears the name of all Fordham presidents, including Tetlow.

Daleo then gave Tetlow the second symbol of the university, the chain of office, which officially recognized Tetlow’s status and authority as the president of Fordham University.

“That honorable struggle to make academic excellence truly affordable to every talented student, regardless of wealth, is one that Jesuits have grappled with for centuries,” Tetlow said. ”If we remain true to ourselves, if we avoid chasing status for its own sake, if we double down on Jesuit mission, students will choose us because of her.”

The Rev. James Martin, S.J., the editor-at-large of America Magazine, was scheduled to give the benediction after the president’s inaugural address but was replaced with Cecero at the last minute.

The ceremony concluded with the Fordham University Choir and Orchestra performing Fordham’s Alma Mater. Guests were invited to stay on Edwards Parade for PrezFest, a festival filled with music, food and picnic games.