Fordham Hosts Annual Egged or Mugged Day

University unveils new event to fundraise for new Rose Hill gym

By LAURA OLDFATHER, Anti-Social Social Club Leader

Fordham’s Office of Student Involvement (OSI) announced last week that it will be hosting a new event: Egged or Mugged Day. This event will happen on Oct. 31 and will be an annual event. 

The decision to create the event came after two years of protests and petitions from students to celebrate this truly momentous day. Fordham is hoping that the event will help Lincoln Center students feel more connected to Fordham.

“We don’t get a lot of turnout for career planning or mindfulness events, so we’re hoping this will engage more students,” Jenifer Campbell, dean of students at Lincoln Center, said. 

The event serves as a fundraiser for building another gym at the Rose Hill campus.

When students arrive at the event, they will face a choice. The choose-your-own-adventure simulation begins with: “Do you want to get egged or mugged?” 

If a student picks “egged,” eggs will be thrown at them, and their phones will be confiscated. According to Mark Vallaro, resident district manager of dining for Aramark, the reason the dining hall staff serves powdered eggs is because they are stockpiling real eggs for this event. 

This event is put on by the United Student Government (USG) committee for Educational Growth Gatherings (EGG). The committee works to provide fun, engaging student events that also serve the public good of those paying for this private institution. They are working on planning other events later in the semester, such as Coffee with Feral Cats and an electric scooter drive. 

The event serves as a fundraiser for building another gym at the Rose Hill campus. If students choose “mugged,” a donation will be made in their name to the new facilities. 

Annual Egged or Mugged Day is designed to help Fordham Lincoln Center students connect with their Rose Hill peers.

“There are things we could use money for, such as contributing to the community even a fraction of what we would have given in taxes if we weren’t Section 501(c)(3) tax exemption, but what our Rams need is another gym at the Rose Hill campus,” Ben Oeuf, head of the EGG committee and Fordham College at Rose Hill ’22, said. 

“I have never had a reason to go to the Rose Hill campus before,” Benedict Shelley, Fordham College at Lincoln Center ’23, said. “Even when I had classes there, it seemed like too much work. But Egged or Mugged Day sounds like too much fun to miss!”

To help make the event even more real, students commuting from the Lincoln Center campus to the Rose Hill campus will be required to take the subway. This is unlike events such as the President’s Ball, in which buses are arranged for students to travel to the Bronx-based campus. 

There has been some concern about the inclusivity of the event. Students who have food allergies started a Change.org petition for the event to be canceled or made more inclusive. There has also been some concern raised by the vegan members of the campus community.

“As a vegan, I already felt targeted on this campus,” Shelley said. “Vegans are probably the worst treated minority group on campus.”

In response to this, the Office of Multicultural Affairs amended the event name to be Annual Egged, Flax Egged or Mugged Day.

“We don’t want students with egg allergies or their allies to think that we are targeting them,” Campbell said.

To apply for the volunteer position of egger, students — who must identify as male and own a red hoodie — can submit their applications to the EGG committee.