Class of 2025 Discusses Difficult College Decisions

Fordham prepares to offer a fully in-person semester to the largest incoming class ever at Lincoln Center

PHOTOS COURTESY OF (FROM LEFT TO RIGHT) KENDALL JOHNSTON AND IZZI WILLIAMS

First-year students prepare to arrive on campus after completing the majority of the college selection process online.

By LAURA OLDFATHER

After more than a year of virtual classes, club meetings and events, Fordham is planning to offer a fully in-person fall semester for returning students and the Class of 2025 — the largest class in Fordham Lincoln Center’s history with 1,107 incoming first-year students. Orientation and the start of fall classes will be the first time many members of the Class of 2025 see Fordham’s campus in-person.

The incoming class of first-year students discovered new ways to learn about colleges, even before in-person tours of Fordham’s campuses resumed on April 7. 

Sarah Rosier, Fordham College at Lincoln Center (FCLC) ’25, is from Eugene, Oregon, and, like most students in her class, had to make college decisions based on information she found online.

“I think the inability to actually tour the campus was a big difficulty when it came to exploring colleges.”Jack Woo, Fordham College at Rose Hill ’25

“I explored colleges virtually last year by looking at the info they have on websites, social media, and even watching TikToks made by students from that college,” Rosier said.

Campus tours, considered a staple of learning about colleges, were not possible or largely limited for students in person due to safety restrictions. Jack Woo, Fordham College at Rose Hill (FCRH) ’25, is from Setauket, New York, and found the lack of campus tours to be the greatest barrier in his college search. 

“I think the inability to actually tour the campus was a big difficulty when it came to exploring colleges, because I couldn’t really get as good a feel of the physical location from pictures,” Woo said.

Andy Diaz, FCRH ’25, is from the Bay Area, California, and utilized Fordham’s virtual tours. He said it was difficult to fully understand the atmosphere of campus without being able to visit in person. 

Virtual tours were available throughout the year, while in-person tours have only been available since April 2021. Visitors were not allowed inside, so prospective students could only tour outdoor campus grounds. 

Even with the added difficulties of their college decisions this year, members of the Class of 2025 are eager to begin their college experience.

“The most important advice I’ve been giving students for the past year and a half has been to please be kind to yourself.”Laura Auricchio, dean of FCLC

“I am excited to take part in classes taught by professors who take pride in what they teach,” Diaz said, “I am excited to live in a dorm and meet new people from around the world.”

Rosier said she is looking forward to meeting new people, beginning a new chapter in her educational journey and continuing to grow.

While excited for meeting new people and having new experiences, Woo is worried about the adjustment to college life. 

“I’m a bit nervous about being fully on my own and waking up in time for class,” Woo said.

Looking ahead to the future Class of 2026, more in-person options are available for high school seniors and others on their college application journey.

Dean of FCLC Laura Auricchio is welcoming her third class of first-year students to the university. She emphasized the need for students to take part in self-compassion and connection after a stressful year with lingering uncertainty.

“The most important advice I’ve been giving students for the past year and a half has been to please be kind to yourself,” Auricchio said. “Try not to add too much pressure to yourself or to others, and be sure to take time out for self-care.”

Auricchio also wants first-year students to know that the university staff is available to students.

“You have a tremendous team of individuals who are all here for one reason only: to support you and to help you thrive during your time with us … We’re all here for you, and we want you to reach out to us so that we can get to know you.”

Patricia Peek, dean of undergraduate admissions, said high school students have been learning about Fordham both in person and virtually “all summer” and the university plans to continue to offer both on-campus and virtual visit programming throughout the fall.