Fordham Celebrates Black History Month Online

The Black History Month Committee shares its plans for the month of February amid the pandemic

ZOOM

Clockwise from top left, Katelyn Figueroa, FCLC ’24; Jemina Molines, FCLC ’21; Juan Carlos Matos, assistant vice president for student affairs for diversity and inclusion; and Mary Olivette Bookman, FCLC ’24, participate in the Music Revelation event on Feb. 8.

By ALLIE STOFER

With the start of February, clubs are hosting hybrid and virtual events to celebrate Black History Month. This year, many of the events are being created by Fordham’s Black History Month Committee, which is sponsored by the Office of Multicultural Affairs (OMA).

“Fordham has made a point to be more inclusive about the type of programming they highlight, this year is maybe a bit more intentional given the racial unrest we see throughout the world,” Lilibeth Ramos Flores, the graduate intern from OMA who oversees the Black History Month Committee, said. 

The committee is made up of students who have an interest in the cultural month. The committee members and the cultural programming coordinators came together to decide on events that the Fordham community will not only find fun and entertaining but also provide learning and thought-provoking spaces.

We also want committees to explore intersectional identities within their programming; linking committees together for joint events,” Ramos Flores said.

“History is black history and the more people understand that the more understanding and empathy we can have for one another.” Lilibeth Ramos Flores, graduate intern for OMA

“Planning for the month has been both exciting and difficult. It is exciting because I love the process of planning creative cultural programming and I was happy to do it on a heritage month that I personally relate to,” Lincoln Center Cultural Programming Coordinator, Jemina Molines, Fordham College at Lincoln Center ’21, said. 

So far, three events have occurred in the first week: Firsts on the First, Trivia Night and Music Revelation. The Firsts on the First took place on Feb. 1 and celebrated notable first Black people in different fields. The event celebrated people such as Constance Baker Motley, the first female federal judge, and Toni Morrison, the first female Nobel Prize winner for Literature. Due to the snowstorm that occurred on Feb. 1, the committee had to adjust and make the event virtual, according to Ramos Flores.

“It was a couple of folks from the community but a lot of the committee members were there to support the team,” Ramos Flores said about the event. “I think it was a great way to start the month but I can only hope attendance at the events increase.”

In the past, Fordham has had different clubs host events for Black History Month. In 2020, the Black Student Alliance (BSA), Student Organization of Latinx (SOL), Caribbean Students Club (CSC) and Muslim Student Association (MSA) held an event to celebrate with food, dancing and music. 

Last spring, BSA also tabled every Thursday in February in order to speak about different aspects of Black culture and activism.

Since the majority of Lincoln Center campus classes are being administered online, the Black History Month Committee wanted to ensure that every student could participate in the events. To do this, the committee created a Google Form that students could fill out to request items to be shipped to them. 

“My hope is that the Black History Month Committee continues to blossom as a meaningful hub and space for Black students and the rest of the Fordham community.” Jemina Molines, FCLC ’21

Even though the first week of February is over, there are still plenty of events left throughout the month. Ramos Flores said that she is looking forward to the book club event and the Love Your Hair Panel.

I think we can all do more to read and engage with black authors to learn for ourselves about black history,” Ramos Flores said. “I’m also excited for the Love Your Hair Panel/Tabling events because it was something that a lot of folks remember from last year being such a great event.”

Ramos Flores encourages all students to attend the events and learn about Black history. She hopes students will learn from the events and continue to do outside research after the events.

“It is important that we view Black History as not just a month in the year, but rather a constant concept that folks need to engage with,” Ramos Flores said. “History is black history and the more people understand that the more understanding and empathy we can have for one another.”

Molines echoed Ramos Flores’s comments and added that she hopes that the committee will continue to grow after she graduates. 

“Black History is also about recognizing how the world can come together to see and hear the pain, heartbreak, and rage of Black people and working together to create a world where the beauty of Blackness is loved, appreciated, and nurtured,” Molines said. After I graduate, my hope is that the Black History Month Committee continues to blossom as a meaningful hub and space for Black students and the rest of the Fordham community.” 

Students can RSVP for the upcoming events through the link in the committee’s Instagram bio.