Dance the Night Away with Fordham Zumba Lessons

By SARAH FERNANDO

Fordham started Zumba sessions in the beginning of this year for students who want to stay or get in shape. Zumba is a Latin dance workout and is based on aerobic dancing which is all about going fast, having fun and letting one’s self go but at the same time getting a great workout. Nicole Chmura, Fordham College at Lincoln Center (FCLC) ’14, loves the Zumba sessions at Fordham. Chmura began taking Zumba sessions in the summer of 2010 in her hometown in New Jersey. “I talked to Erica, my Resident Assistant (RA), and told her that I wanted to form a Zumba group because I am very into health and fitness.”  Juliet Ben-Ami, FCLC ’11 and the Wellness RA, got the room, date, and times set.

The Zumba class at McMahon Hall hopes to get FCLC students dancing. (Sarah Fernando/The Observer)

“The Zumba sessions started at the beginning of the new year, so students came to start the new year right by getting fitter and healthier as their New Year’s Resolution,” Chmura said.

Mixed with cardio intervals and resistance training, Zumba is used to burn fat and calories and help tone the body. “A lot of people attend the sessions because they want to change for the better and not go back to their old ways, which is a great way to start the new year,” Chmura said.

Molly Clemens, FCLC ’14, said, “The first time I taught the class, I was very nervous, but I got more comfortable because I was doing it in front of my peers. No one should be afraid to be stupid; it’s all about letting yourself go.”

Zumba sessions are on Tuesdays and Fridays, from 6-7 p.m.; the number of students in attendance ranges from 15-25; the different dance workouts, based on the rhythm and beat of the music. There are different dance styles which include reggaeton, salsa, meringue, hip-hop, rock ‘n’ roll, flamenco and other styles which relate to the music being played during the session. Although Zumba is Latin-based, other styles are formed to get a better workout relating to interval and resistance training. Clemens said, “We workout for 30 minutes and then we have a five-minute break and then start again. Not a lot of students have the right coordination but that’s not what it is about. It’s about having fun and not stressing out if you’re getting a workout over it.”

“Nicole is my friend and I really wanted to get in shape more,” Carly Wine, FCLC ’14, said. “I do crunches everyday but I want to get a better workout, so I’m going to start taking the sessions.” That was the first time Wine was starting Zumba and she seemed pretty nervous. “I’m really excited and hope I don’t mess up that much. I’m afraid of looking like a fool in front of everyone,” Wine said.

After 30 minutes of working out, I asked her how she liked her first session and she said she enjoyed it very much and will definitely attend it more often. “I really like it, it isn’t as bad as I thought it would be and it’s actually really fun,” Wine said.

The students attending the Zumba sessions are mostly females who are focused on getting their bodies fit and toned. Most of the students never took Zumba sessions until Fordham introduced it and are now motivated to get or stay healthier. “I started Zumba once Zumba sessions were offered at Fordham, which made it convenient and easier for me to attend the sessions,” Clemens said. There is no cost to attend at Fordham, whereas a Zumba session elsewhere would range from $15-20.

“I love the sore feeling you get after a great workout because it proves that you accomplished and had a great workout,” Chmura said. Zumba is a great cardio work out helping to burn calories, lose weight and develop muscles by continually stepping, dancing and shifting. “I workout out almost every day, but in Zumba, it’s different; it’s all about having fun. I’m not about coordination but about enjoying it,” Clemens said. Zumba is a great, energetic way to get some exercise and you don’t have to get the steps right, so if you ever want to have a fun workout, you should take Zumba.