Expanding the Fordham Family

Published: May 5, 2010

For many of us, the waning hours of the academic year signify anything but a winding down. Of course, there are the usual papers, finals and graduation-related panic attacks, but the end of this particular semester seems to have brought about a slew of more atypical dramas and celebrations. As Ashley WennersHerron and Christina Frasca’s article, “Fordham Faculty Wins Equal Benefits After Four-Year Fight” on page one made clear, last Friday, April 30, marked a momentous step forward for the Fordham family: the inclusion of legally domiciled adults in the university’s employee health benefits.

Fordham’s progressive decision, though overdue, made important strides in expanding the Jesuit mantra of “men and women for others:” now Fordham’s men and women can truly claim to be for all others, not just for those who are members of traditional, nuclear families.

However, despite this clearly positive change in policy for faculty, the late days of April were marred by closed-mindedness on the University’s part regarding the annual, student-led production of Eve Ensler’s “The Vagina Monologues.” Tim Jalbert’s article, “Student Affairs Not Permitted to Attend ‘Vagina Monologues’” on page one points out that employees of Student Affairs were instructed not to attend the event, with one less-than-obscene monologue deemed inappropriate for these University employees to be seen supporting. This prohibition does not only exclude Student Affairs employees from an opportunity to engage in productive discourse about such relevant issues as gender identity and sexual abuse, but it also makes it impossible for many members of the Fordham community to support the hard work and dedication of students who were involved in the production. As members of Student Affairs, it is not just their passion, but also their responsibility to support these students.

As we face the end of the school year—whether that means trying to start a career, hopping a plane overseas for the summer or just heading home to that trusty retail job—most of us find ourselves reflecting on the experiences we’ve had as a part of a community during our time at Fordham. As we head in different directions and start new projects outside of the University, it is essential that students feel that they have made meaningful connections with the community here. While it seems that most students do feel this way, it is a shame that, for those who were invested in “The Vagina Monologues,” the year had to end on a note of discord and disconnection. Even for those who were not directly involved in the production, it is uncomfortable to think that we could participate in perfectly legitimate and admirable endeavors without the University’s support.

But the past is the past. Fortunately, Fordham has shown in recent days that it is not absolutely opposed to policy changes that expand the University’s welcoming arms to a wider and more diverse community. For those of us who will be returning next fall, it is up to us to make it clear that our network of support includes all students, especially those who put in countless hours of their own time and effort to foster dialogue about important issues on campus, as the organizers of “The Vagina Monologues” have done. Just as it is no longer necessary for faculty to conform to archaic concepts of family in order to receive benefits for their loved ones, students should not have to avoid controversial but morally imperative discussions in order to gain the support of the University community.

The Fordham family is expanding, slowly but surely. We have seen what a group of passionate, dedicated students and faculty can do to change outdated policy. As representatives of our educations, we must enter into the coming year—wherever it may lead us—with our arms and minds open, and perhaps the University will pick up the pace.