Five Trip Options For Spring Break Procrastinators

By CARLY LEVINE

The student-friendly price tag of a Cancun spring break party means we can all have a little fun in the sun. (Alex Palomino/The Observer)

Published February 18, 2010

Spring break is just around the corner and while the committed spring breakers have their destination plans all set and ready to go for the big week, others are sweating trying to find the best possible trip for their money in the short time they have left to book it.

Since we college kids aren’t known for our thick wallets, here are some options that will satisfy every last customer with the travel bug. No matter what type of trip you’re looking for, there is one out there in the student price bracket. So click purchase, grab your suitcase and jet set out of the city for an unforgettable spring break!

The “Party Hardy” Trip
Location: Cancun, Mexico (the number one spring break destination!)
Provider: Student City
What it includes: If you want to party hard and party well, be sure to book a full flight, hotel and experience package through Student City. This company is the best at what they do: guaranteeing you and your friends the most unforgettable spring break ever as they lead all the best parties on the beaches and at the clubs on the Cancun strip. Teaming up with MTVU for parties, celebrations and guest performances, your trip will never have a dull moment! The best options are those which include “All Inclusive” hotels. They are a bit pricier, but you end up saving more in the end. These hotels offer unlimited drinks (soda, bottled water, alcoholic beverages) as well as two to three meals a day. They also generally include free access to all pools, water sports activities, classes, events, parties and more. Each trip includes transportation from the airport to your hotel, a welcome orientation, Student City hosts to help out with all your questions and needs, pre-game parties and happy hours with free drinks, all taxes and fees and a spring break T-shirt so you can show off your undying love for partying when you return to NYC.
Price Range: Prices vary based on package type, hotel quality, number of travelers per hotel room and departure city. A package including a round-trip flight from NYC, a seven-night stay at the Oasis Cancun hotel and all-inclusive activities: with two people in a room, about $2,045 per person; fourpeople in a room: $1,715.
Other locations: Check out great party packages for Daytona Beach, South Padre Island, Panama City Beach, Costa Rica, Punta Cana, Negril, Mazatlan, Acapulco and more. Log onto www.studentcity.com for more information and trip planning.

The “Love Is In The Air” Trip
Location: Paris, France
Provider: Student Universe
What it includes: Romance, oui? But of course! Paris is known as one of the most romantic cities in the world, and a spring break getaway to Europe  may be less expensive than you think! Book hotel and flight packages with student-oriented Web sites like www.studentuniverse.com for fantastic deals. If you save on your flight and hotel, you’ll have more money to spend on the amazing food and sites. Climb the Eiffel Tower, search for Quasimodo at the Notre Dame and feast on escargot and cheese fondue at the finest Parisian restaurants. You can shop along the Champs d’Elysees for anything your heart desires, stare back at the Mona Lisa at the Louvre, or visit La Bisilique du Sacre Coeur (The Church of the Sacred Heart) in Montmartre for the perfect lovers’ day trip. Down the hill from the church, see the original Moulin Rouge and take in the beauty of the city and its people. Feeling royal? Take a day trip to Versailles to see the glorious, rich detailed country palace built by King Louis XIV. When will you get another chance to see such a gorgeous city? Enjoy your time now and take a romantic vacation you’ll never forget!
Price Range: A package including a roundtrip flight from New York to Paris, and two people per room for a five-night vacation: $1,018 per person. To book flights and lodging separately, check out www.Hostels.com or www.hostelworld.com for inexpensive rooms, or any major travel site to book flights or packages. For Paris trips and romantic excursion packages, check out www.viator.com/paris.
Other locations: Romance is everywhere! For other ideas, check out www.statravel.com which also specializes in discount student travel. If you’re looking for romance in Europe, Rome, Tuscany, Amsterdam and Barcelona are great options.

The “Smooth Sailing” Trip
Location: Bahamas & Florida
Provider: Norwegian Cruise Line (Norwegian Gem)
What it includes: This seven-night cruise leaves right from New York City on March 13 and embarks on a great journey south along the Atlantic Ocean to the gorgeous destination of the Bahamas! The all-inclusive cruise gives you endless options of fun and entertainment, food and drinks and access to all the ships’ accommodations. Eat whatever you want at every meal, party at the discos and lounges, listen to music at the piano bars and participate in fun on-board sports like basketball, tennis and swimming. You’ll be at sea for some of the trip, and at Port Canaveral, Great Stirrup Cay and Nassau for three days in between. Wind down and see the local culture, have a meal on the beach, or catch some much-needed zzz’s.
Price Range: Based on two guests per room, excluding taxes and fees, cost per person for an Inside Stateroom: $809; Suite: $1149.
Other locations: Norwegian Cruise Line is the only one leaving from New York during our spring break! If you want to leave from Miami or another location, check online for more information. Prices vary by date, location, room type and number of passengers. Check out www.statravel.com or www.studentcity.com for other cruises to the Bahamas. Check out www.cheapcaribbean.com for more great deals.

The “Born In The USA” Trip
Location: Local  trip/road trip in the U.S.
Provider: Check out www.roadtripusa.com for great travel ideas with destination plans and road maps.
What It Includes: Bonding with the boys or gabbing with the girls? Take a fun, inexpensive and local road trip with your best pals that will be sure to create memories of a lifetime. Whether soaking up the sun on the Pacific Coast Highway or seeing the wilderness of the East Coast, there’s sure to be an adventure ahead when you pack four or five of your greatest buddies in one car! Intend on splitting the gas bills to keep the low-budget traveling even smoother, and don’t forget to read up about the cities you’re passing through for road laws, fun sites, delicious road-side food, great nightlife,= and cozy places to unwind and relax. Bring along travel games like Mash, Mad Libs or mini checkers so everyone can get involved, or play “Punch Buggie” until your friends can’t handle it anymore! Be sure to bring along a camera to record the endless fun and wild moments.
Price Range: Depending on gas prices, number of travelers along for the trip and distance, this priceless adventure could cost you anywhere between $50 to a few hundred. Keep in mind that roads often have bridge, tunnel and toll fees, which need to be added into your spending money. Cheap motels and gas prices can be split among your friends and food prices will vary.
Other Locations: Check out www.Hotels.com for cheap accommodations or be impromptu on the road.  Also, check out www.FoodNetwork.com and www.travelchannel.com for great travel and dining tips!

The “Lend A Helping Hand” Trip
Location: St. Andrews, Jamaica
Provider: www.i-to-i.com
What it includes: This is a great opportunity to teach and help children abroad while also exploring the white sand beaches and delicious food of Jamaica. You’ll get to work with orphans and underprivileged children in the St. Andrews community, teaching various subjects like math, reading, music, sports and arts and crafts. During your free time, you will be able to relax on the beaches, take a dip in the clear blue sea, and dine like a local. Learn to see Jamaica from a local’s perspective and keep children smiling all week long. The trip includes accommodations at a hilltop guesthouse with shared rooms, daily transportation to and from the project location, in-country orientation, daily breakfast and dinner, a local team and an emergency 24-hour help desk.
Price Range: Leaving March 15, one week costs $1,259. You will also need to purchase airfare, insurance and a return airport transfer. The program fee takes care of your food and accommodations as well as other project-related fees.
Other locations: Other great opportunities during our break include biodiversity conservation in Ecuador, community work with children in Kenya or building homes in poor communities in Kenya. Prices and dates vary. Check out www.i-to-i.com for more trip options.