Contagious? Stay Away from Class

Published: November 5, 2009

We’re in the thick of it. Midterms have just finished, finals seem to be just minutes away, and the paper crunch is on. On top of it all, the weather seems to finally have settled on the cold end of the thermometer. If you’re willing to brave the cold—and often wet—weather to make it to the grocery store, the price of fresh fruit and vegetables has sky-rocketed. It’s getting harder to find time to get to the gym. We’re feeling the strain, but our immune systems are taking the brunt of the punch.

According to Ashley WennersHerron’s article, “Fordham University Offers H1N1 Vaccine Clinic for Students,” on page one, there are already six suspected cases of the H1N1 virus at Fordham College at Lincoln Center. More and more students seem to be drooping around campus. Hoodies are making more appearances; slippers are showing up in class. People are popping cough drops and stocking up on tissues. We’re trying to adjust to our hectic schedules, but the attendance policy seems to be inflexible when it comes to the reality of illness. We’re warned to stay away from class if we’re feeling sick by Fordham University, but we’re still required to turn papers in on time and take tests on the predetermined day.

It’s difficult to write a paper when you’re running a fever and feel nauseated every time you attempt to sit upright.

Professors are understanding to a point, but the fact is that class attendance is necessary to fully grasp concepts covered and information taught. Miss a week of classes? You’re behind for the rest of the semester. Throw in an internship, a job, other responsibilities and the stress is enough to weaken your already compromised immune system enough for it to fall victim to a virus or infection. You’re even further behind, and the nasty cycle repeats.

Students, be honest. If you’re sick, stay home. Professors and other students don’t want to sit next to a contagious, coughing person. If you can make it to class and would just rather not, remember that you will probably need to miss a class or two due to real illness in the near future. Professors will be more understanding if you are normally present in class when you are healthy and able to actively participate. Professors aren’t mind readers. Let them know what’s going on.  You may be surprised by how much they are willing to work with you.

That being said, professors, please remember that it can be intimidating to approach you. We have other classes and don’t expect deferential treatment.  Make your attendance policies and your willingness to work with ill students clear. You wouldn’t want a sick student attending class and infecting the room simply because he or she is worried an absence will adversely affect his or her grade. Work with students via e-mail; let a student have an extension for a paper if requested. The same holds true for you. If you are ill, cancel class.  Set up some back up plan on Blackboard, or e-mail your students expectations for the next class.

Invest in some vitamins. Drink water. Get enough sleep (or try to get enough sleep). Don’t share drinks or utensils. The semester is only going to get more difficult, and our immune systems need all the help they can get.