Reevaluating Student Rights

Published: April 30, 2009

Progress at Fordham seems suspended, wrapped up in bureaucracy, lacking adaptation to contemporary need. From problems starting a club (Eugene Kontratov’s Feb. 25 article, “Streamlining the Club Formation Process”) to a need for clear explanations of financial aid policies. According to Ashley Tedesco’s article on page 1 of this issue, “Student Leaders Draft Bill of Rights,” some student leaders have decided to do something about that.  Representing a variety of campus organizations, this group constructed a rough draft of rights FCLC students should be entitled to, while concisely articulating rights students already have.

The student bill of rights attempts to cut through the red tape. It is not meant to offend, but rather to alert.  We, as a student body, want to begin the process of evolving our rights. Not only is the bill of rights meant to clarify what students are entitled to, but also to involve the students for whom the document was drafted.

The 13 rights included in the document are: “free speech, freedom from discrimination, privacy, due process, the right not to be held accountable by Fordham for off-campus actions, adequate resources, open forums for discussion with Rev. Joseph M. McShane, S.J., president of Fordham, representation in administration, grade appeals, university policy appeal, financial inquiry freedom, sufficient financial aid and adequate health care,” according to Tedesco’s article.

Some of the rights, like the right to appeal grades, students already have, but may be unaware of. Others, like the call for, “sufficient financial aid and adequate health care,” are much more pertinent to the times. In the face of the economic recession and the outbreak of swine flu, students are unsure about the climate they face after graduation. If we are protected while in school, we will be able to go further in Fordham’s tradition of cura personalis, care for the whole person, and homines pro aliis, men and women for others, come graduation.

Complaints do little more than contribute to the frustration. A suggestion of change begins the discussion—it is the start of the change sought. Indifference is the fault of the student; Fordham administrators are unable to address problems if they are unaware any exist. This group of students hopes to change that.

FCLC students want to talk.  The administration is willing to listen. It will take a lot of work on both sides to ensure the discussion will be productive.