CAC Raises Smoking Awareness at FCLC

Students wrote their commitments to end smoking in the Student Lounge. (Kyle Morrison/The Observer)

By ANTHONY GONG

Fordham College at Lincoln Center (FCLC)’s College Against Cancer (CAC) hosted a Great American Smokeout event on Nov. 11. It is associated with the American Cancer Society that is geared towards educating people on the dangers of smoking and to promote the social awareness of cancer from tobacco use. Both new and old club members came together to discuss topics about the benefits of quitting.

According to Maureen Sweet, FCLC ’12 and vice president of CAC, the club’s main goal is to teach others about cancer related issues from harmful effects of smoking. CAC branches out nationally throughout the United States and was founded at Fordham during the fall of 2009. At the meeting, fact sheets and brochures about the advantages of not smoking were distributed to all attendants. Students were also given the chance to sign pledge cards stating that they will either stop or never begin smoking.

As a way of instilling information, CAC handed out quizzes and power point slides to everyone. Members learned that lung cancer and secondhand smoke were attributed as the leading causes of death for adults worldwide. In the end, those who have scored well were rewarded with prizes. “It is something that affects youth,” Sweet said. “Events like these are small, but it’s really great that people are coming out to support us.”

CAC’s history can be traced back to Relay for Life. Originating within the American Cancer Society, it was an experiment founded to donate funds for cancer research and to honor those that have died. Relay for Life started in the 1980’s with its founder Dr. Gordon Klatt, a surgeon who wanted to raise money by walking around a track at the University of Puget Sound in Washington for 24 hours straight.  Becoming an overnight sensation, Relay for Life was an instant success and is now being practiced every year in various communities all over America.

One Relay for Life tradition is the Luminaria Ceremony. The ritual is held at night and numerous white paper bags are filled with candles, which are placed around the track. Survivors are encouraged to direct everyone on a silent lap with inspirational music being played. FCLC conducts its own Relay for Life outside next to the plaza where the majority of clubs gather together to walk and show their support. “At Relay for Life, people walk all day to symbolize the journey and fight against cancer,” Sweet said.

In regards to increasing cancer awareness, others from CAC also shared similar thoughts with Sweet. Dylan Kaufman, FCLC ’14, wanted to know more about CAC and its plan to stop others from smoking. Kaufman, not a smoker himself, has family members who do smoke and was invited by a friend on Facebook to visit CAC’s anti-smoking event. “Smoking bothers me to the extent that someone would do it right in front of me,” Kaufman said. “My family hasn’t ever smoked in front of me. Personally, I think it’s sort of strange that we would criminalize marijuana, but not tobacco.”

Kaufman has also participated in Relay for Life as a representative of the Paintball Club. “Relay for Life isn’t a bad idea,” said Kaufman. “It’s  just eight hours of people walking continuously. It’s such a big event that anyone who came here would know about it.”

Nabila Ibrahim, FCLC ’15, attended the event and said that she thought smoking is nothing but a waste of time. “I came here because I wanted to spread the awareness that smoking is bad,” Ibrahim said. “I just hate the smell.”

“I tried to stop my friends from smoking,” Donna Dairocas, FCLC ‘14, said. “It’s hard because for them its an addiction and they don’t know how much cancer is affecting them.”

While some have experienced difficulties to giving up smoking, there are others that have been quite successful. Kelly Lo, FCLC ’14, said that her loved ones were affected by smoking. “My grandfather used to be a chain-smoker,” Lo said. “But he did quit later on. He’s now healthy and exercising at 96.”

FCLC’s Relay for Life is planned to be on April 21, 2012.