“American Horror Story” Season 12 Finale: The Delicate Conclusion Unveiled

Was the Finale Worth the Wait? A Review of the Anthology Series Part Two Ending
ANDREA RIVAS/THE OBSERVER
Season 12 of “American Horror Story” starred Emma Roberts as a highly ambitious actress with Kim Kardashian as her manager and best friend.

The show “American Horror Story” (AHS) Season 12, “Delicate Part 2,” concluded on April 3. The show aired four new episodes each week, culminating in its finale on April 24. Co-created by Ryan Murphy and Brad Falchuk and based on Danielle Valentine’s book “Delicate Condition,” the series follows Anna Victoria (Emma Roberts), a woman striving to become a prosperous actress while simultaneously fulfilling her dream of motherhood.

After months of waiting for part two due to the 2023 SAG-AFTRA strike, which concluded on Nov. 9, “AHS: Delicate” was split into two parts. In the latest segment of the AHS saga, the story delves even further into the origins of its characters, weaving together previously unknown aspects from part one. As the chapter progresses, the show follows Anna’s tale as she faces the challenges of her marriage, public scrutiny, and the added fear of a potential threat to her and her unborn child lurking in the shadows. 

The first part of the story concludes with a heart-wrenching cliffhanger, adding suspense and anticipation for what’s coming next. Despite the wait, the ending was underwhelming. Unfortunately, the plot twists and bizarre elements that had kept me captivated throughout the series were absent in the finale.

The pacing felt rushed towards the latter half of the final episode, and the big reveal was only a tiny part of the finale. While the story was introduced well, I wish the creators had taken more time to carefully tie up loose ends, answer lingering questions, and create a full circle from start to finish. I also wish the climax and anticipation had been resolved shockingly.

The final twist portrays female empowerment in a hostile and twisted way. Although the show follows a group of women in a cult, their intentions were not revealed until the end. There were hints that Siobhan (Kim Kardashian), Anna’s best friend and manager, was the mastermind behind Anna’s visions, hallucinations, and all the confusion regarding her pregnancy. Siobhan, revealed to be a witch, orchestrates a master plan to generate super-powered children to kill all men, “We’ll finally have a matriarchy,” Siobhan said.  

Toward the end, we learn that Anna possesses the potential to stop evil forces, thus killing Siobhan. However, there seems to be a hint of darkness within her, as evidenced by the concluding scene. After Anna kills Siobhan and her body is disintegrated, Anna takes the only thing left of Siobhan, her headpiece, and places it on her head. 

Traditional views of motherhood, career advancement, and societal challenges within the show’s narrative frame open up a complex dialogue about the portrayal of women in media, ethical conduct in the pursuit of personal and professional objectives and the broader implications for audience perception and societal norms. 

At the end of part one, I wondered if Anna was a victim or if she was evil. The question remains unresolved despite reaching the season finale, as the conclusion is open to interpretation. One could guess, but the answer is merely speculation. The show ends with Anna holding her newborn and the Oscar award she desperately wanted while wearing Siobhan’s headpiece. This scene symbolizes Anna getting all she desires motherhood and fame. Yet, what happened to the other cult members and why Anna wore the headpiece is still unanswered.

This show portrays that life is full of unforeseen obstacles, interruptions, and the frustration of being held back from achieving one’s desires. The show also questions what we are willing to give up for our wants and needs, forcing viewers to reflect on what truly matters. “Be careful what you wish for” is a familiar phrase we’ve all heard. Anna’s story illustrates the repercussions of making poor decisions and misguided choices. Had fate not intervened, her life would have turned for the worse due to what she wished for.

Despite this season’s notable focus on female characters, the characters often resort to deceit and harmful tactics. Traditional views of motherhood, career advancement, and societal challenges within the show’s narrative frame open up a complex dialogue about the portrayal of women in media, ethical conduct in the pursuit of personal and professional objectives and the broader implications for audience perception and societal norms. 

The show suggests that a woman can only have a career or motherhood. The creators thusly propose: Is there really a choice between success in your industry or being a mother? Why can’t a woman have both? When Anna is asked if she would sacrifice her unborn child to win the Academy Award for Best Actress, she answers yes. This answer shocked me — was it said thoughtlessly, or would she truly give up her child for an award? Many women worldwide are successful in their industries and roles as mothers, but this show continues to perpetuate the idea that women cannot have both motherhood and success.

After the show ended, it was evident that the most captivating aspect was incorporating psychological thriller themes. Anna’s character constantly questioned her sanity, and I did the same. The idea that Anna stopped evil, but a part of it remains with her and could potentially live on, is still in my mind. Although she stopped it, could she someday become it?

The ambiguity of Anna’s true intentions left me wondering whether it was all an illusion or if she, in the end, fulfilled her deepest desires.