SUBSCRIBE TO THE OBSERVER'S WEEKLY NEWSLETTER:

Insights into The University’s Class of 2028

Potential students discuss what factors are affecting their decision to attend Fordham
+Prospective+students+take+a+tour+of+Fordham+University%E2%80%99s+Lincoln+Center+campus.%0A
STEVIE FUSCO/THE OBSERVER
Prospective students take a tour of Fordham University’s Lincoln Center campus.

Decision day for the class of 2028 has passed. Regular decision acceptances for Fordham University’s class of 2028 were announced on March 15, and now Fordham’s incoming first year class has begun to take shape.

According to Fordham News, there has been greater interest in attending the Lincoln Center campus. Applications to Fordham College Lincoln Center (FCLC) and Gabelli School of Business at Lincoln Center (GSBLC) have increased.

Potential students in the class of 2028 shared what caused them to apply to Fordham in the first place.

Julian Bober was admitted to FCLC’s class of 2028. His intended major is international studies, and he is a New York City native. He is deciding between attending Fordham or Georgetown University in the fall. 

“I think the main reason I applied to Fordham was just because it’s in New York, and I really liked the Lincoln Center location,” Bober said. 

Lena Tarva was admitted to GSBLC’s class of 2028. She is originally from New Jersey, and applied to Fordham to study international business with a media concentration. She expressed similar sentiments about being drawn to the Lincoln Center campus. 

“It is such a cool campus, Lincoln Center specifically, being right in like the heart of Manhattan. You have almost everything around you being in the city,” Tarva said.

“New York City is so unique. Being on the tour today, I saw a diverse group of students here, who are hardworking, and want an academically rigorous experience, but also are insanely creative and have a lot of different perspectives that I haven’t gotten living in St. Louis.” Rachel Tibbs

Rachel Tibbs is considering joining the incoming class of Fordham College Rose Hill. She wants to study biology and is originally from St. Louis, Missouri. She described how attending the Rose Hill campus will give her a balanced college experience. 

“I applied there because I wanted a more traditional college experience, but also liked that Fordham had a sister campus at Lincoln Center that had more of the urban feeling and the opportunities that come with being in New York City,” Tibbs explained.

Other than Fordham, she is considering attending the University of Virginia or Marquette University. However, the idea of living in New York City entices her.

“New York City is so unique,” Tibbs said. “Being on the tour today, I saw a diverse group of students here, who are hardworking, and want an academically rigorous experience, but also are insanely creative and have a lot of different perspectives that I haven’t gotten living in St. Louis.” 

“The diverse mix of international and domestic students creates a rich, vibrant campus environment for everyone. Not only are Fordham scholars living and learning in the greatest city in the world — they’re also benefitting from a wealth of perspectives and experiences.”< Patricia Peek, dean of Undergraduate Admission

According to Fordham news, the university saw an 8% increase in international applicants, while also receiving applications from all 50 states. Patricia Peek, dean of Undergraduate Admission, commented on the diversity of the incoming class to Fordham News.

“The diverse mix of international and domestic students creates a rich, vibrant campus environment for everyone. Not only are Fordham scholars living and learning in the greatest city in the world — they’re also benefitting from a wealth of perspectives and experiences,” Peek said. 

The tuition increase has made the cost of attending Fordham 4.4% higher than the previous academic year. Delays in the Free Application for Federal Student Aid have complicated many universities’ financial aid processes, with some pushing back their decision day because of it. However, Fordham’s decision deadline remains May 1. 

“I did receive a scholarship which was very generous. That definitely helps in the college decision process, especially with how much college has increased over the past years.” Lena Tarva

According to Brian Ghanoo, associate vice president for Student Financial Services, the university has been able to give out preliminary financial aid packages. 

Bober explained that the scholarship he received to attend Fordham has encouraged him to consider it over other schools. 

Tarva echoed Bober’s comments about the merit-based financial aid package she received. She also said the tuition increase is not significantly affecting her college decision. 

“I did receive a scholarship which was very generous. That definitely helps in the college decision process, especially with how much college has increased over the past years,” Tarva said. “Most colleges have increased in the same way and are around the same pricing.”

Tibbs said her financial aid package was not the best she has received, and that the cost of a Fordham education is causing her to consider other universities.

“Hearing that the tuition is increasing and could be in the future is a little bit scary,” she said. “It kind of negatively impacts how I’m viewing the school.”

Despite the increasing cost of attendance, Tibbs said the different resources on campus and the post-graduate opportunities offered draw her to the university.

“It seems like there’s a lot of care for the students, especially through the Jesuit values of the whole person,” Tibbs said.