‘The Bachelor’ Fakechise

Let’s expose the beloved brand of the ever-flourishing reality series ‘The Bachelor!’
GIADA EVANGELISTA
Looking for true love doesn’t happen on reality television in a mansion full of people, even if the main attraction is a hunky Italian guy named Joey.

“The Bachelor” is something we have all heard about. I mean, how could you not? With 28 seasons, and counting, of 30 women dating one man, you’ve had to have come across a meme on your Instagram Explore page while on your sixth straight hour of intense, uninterrupted scrolling.

But if you live under a rock or in outer space, let me enlighten you. The show revolves around one man’s connection with 30 Southern sorority alumni, each going on the show saying they have the “purest intentions y’all.”

Well, I guess that means they aren’t only on the show to become a D-list celebrity. Living off brand partnerships rather than a 9-5 is appealing to them, but being hand-picked out of a large pool of girls to become this man’s bride-to-be sounds even better.

The show has to be anti-feminist or maybe even worse. But it’s not because there is this show called “The Bachelorette” where, in turn, 30 men date one woman. By only making shows that showcase a gender binary, television is really stepping up its levels of inclusivity and representation. All the while, producers don’t have the men hold hands, jumping up and down while simultaneously screaming, “We love you, Joey!”

The show monopolizes its genre: dating game show. Yes, that’s a whole genre now. And some would even say, it monopolizes the reality television genre entirely. But how much of this franchise is reality?

The show “Survivor” has produced more married couples than the entirety of “The Bachelor” franchise. I know what you’re thinking; I didn’t think “Survivor” was a dating show. That’s because it’s not. 

“Survivor” is a reality game show where contestants are stranded on a remote island competing in physically straining challenges until a final contestant receives a cash prize. Maybe it’s the shared experience of battling the elements together, or perhaps it’s the absence of forced cocktail parties, that brings contestants together in a lawful, trauma-bonded union.

So, what is the pitfall of “The Bachelor” series relationships? Is it the seven-week courtship before an engagement? Is it the spectacle of manufactured drama? Is it the quest for love that is overshadowed by the pursuit of screen time, Instagram followers and sponsored content deals?

Let’s be real here — if you were truly looking for love, would you sign up to compete with dozens of other women in a mansion, all vying for the attention of one man who’s probably just in it for the free vacations and fleeting fame? I think not. As long as there are rose ceremonies and tearful confessions of undying love, people will keep tuning in because, deep down, audiences secretly love it.