New Vice President of Student Affairs Is Appointed

Prior to assuming the position, Burris served in the interim for seven months and has worked at Fordham for over 17 years
COURTESY OF HECTOR MARTINEZ IN UNIVERSITY MARKETING AND COMMUNICATIONS
Michele Burris has been named vice president of student affairs after holding the associate vice president of student affairs position for 17 years.

Following an intense, nationwide, seven-month competitive search, Michele Burris assumed the position of vice president of student affairs on Jan. 10. 

The announcement was made in a university-wide email from University President Tania Tetlow on the same day, noting that Burris would begin her position immediately.

Burris emphasized her dedication to two Jesuit values that she aims to encompass as both an administrator and educator. 

“There are two Jesuit tenets that are at the core of who I am as an administrator; the first is cura personalis, care for each and every person; care for each and every student,” she said. “The second tenet is magis, striving for more, not being satisfied with the status quo.” 

“I think why I was chosen was that I can, with my current experience and understanding of Fordham, be the person to bring Fordham student affairs into this next place.”Michele Burris,vice president of student affairs

Tetlow emphasized Burris’ career-long commitment to Jesuit values in the email, noting that comes to this position with 35 years of experience working in Jesuit higher education.

“Vice President Burris understands ‘cura personalis’ at her core,” Tetlow said. “Her tireless commitment to student well-being and development is inspiring, as is the collaborative approach she brings to the role,” Tetlow said in the email.

Burris began serving in the position on an interim basis during the search to replace Jeffrey Gray following his resignation in June 2023. The vice president of student affairs is responsible for overseeing all student affairs functions and plays a role in managing the university’s budget.

As she transitions from serving in the interim to officially assuming the position, Burris highlighted her desire to spend ample time at both of Fordham University’s undergraduate campuses — Lincoln Center and Rose Hill — in an effort to further bridge the gap within the university community.

She referred to her intercampus travel as her “roadshow” and expressed her plans to keep the momentum going by attending more student organizations and club events. Burris also noted that she has attended student government meetings at both Lincoln Center and Rose Hill.

Rev. John Cecero, S.J., vice president for mission integration and ministry and the chair of the search committee to fill the position, praised Burris’ ability to balance a “historically informed understanding” of student affairs with a “bold creative vision” for the future of the division.

A committee of faculty, staff and students selected Burris following a seven month national search. (TARA LENTELL)

“Her vision is grounded in a commitment to listening closely to the needs of students across the Lincoln Center and Rose Hill campuses,” he said.

Cecero also shared the importance of Burris’ understanding of various aspects of the student affairs division, including her experiences in residential life and student involvement. 

“I think why I was chosen was that I can, with my current experience and understanding of Fordham, be the person to bring Fordham student affairs into this next place,” Burris explained.

I’m unbelievably honored to serve with President Tetlow, with the other members of the fabulous cabinet of vice presidents.Michele Burris,vice president of student affairs

Burris previously served as the associate vice president of student affairs from 2006, and worked with Gray, an experience which she described as instrumental to her appointment as the new vice president.

The newly-appointed vice president of student affairs emphasized the importance of Gray’s mentorship during her near-17-year tenure as associate vice president. She praised her predecessor for his mentorship and commended his influence as she transitioned into the vice presidency.

“I can’t thank him enough for the opportunity that he gave me,” Burris said. “He really allowed me to experience just about everything in student affairs so that when he retired, I was prepared to apply for this position.”

Before working in Jesuit higher education, Burris received her undergraduate degree from Drake University in Des Moines, Iowa in news editorial journalism and political science. She then chose to pursue education administration and later received a master’s degree in education with a counseling concentration from Providence College in Rhode Island. 

After receiving her master’s degree, Burris became an area coordinator at the College of the Holy Cross in Worcester, Massachusetts and later joined Fordham in the Division of Student affairs. Prior to becoming associate vice president of student affairs, Burris also served as the assistant director of residential life at Rose Hill, later becoming the dean of residential life. 

Burris expressed excitement in taking on the role permanently because of her eagerness to continue her work with university leaders to serve students at Fordham.

I’m unbelievably honored to serve with President Tetlow, with the other members of the fabulous cabinet of vice presidents,” she said about embarking on her new tenure as vice president of student affairs.