Fordham Alumna, Patricia Clarkson Establishes Theater Scholarship

The Emmy Award-winning actress and FCLC alumni created a new scholarship for theatre students, providing financial support throughout their senior year
The+new+scholarship+will+offer+Fordham%E2%80%99s+theatre+students+financial+assistance+and+support.+
COURTESY OF CHRIS TAGGART
The new scholarship will offer Fordham’s theatre students financial assistance and support.

Patricia Clarkson, award-winning actress and Fordham College at Lincoln Center (FCLC) ’82, recently established a scholarship for the university’s rising senior theatre students. Recipients are nominated and selected by theatre faculty, where financial need and merit are considered in being awarded an amount determined based on the recipient’s needs. 

The scholarship has been in the works since May 2023, according to May Adrales, director of the Fordham theatre program, as Clarkson sought to give back to her alma mater. Although the specific qualifications have yet to be determined, theatre students and staff are excited at the prospect of this award. Adrales expressed her enthusiasm at seeing this opportunity unfold for students.

“Patricia Clarkson is an exemplar of Fordham Theatre education, a consummate actor who radiates with curiosity, vibrancy and pursues her craft with high-voltage energy and determination,” Adrales said. 

Adrales noted her gratitude for the support of not only a scholarship donor but one from an accomplished alumni. She explained Clarkson will specify how the scholarship is distributed and awarded.

“This scholarship will be awarded to a rising senior student who possesses the same fervor and determination in the pursuit of acting as well as demonstrated promise and potential,” she said.

The scholarship is directed toward Fordham theatre students in their senior year who display a resilience and growing ambition to continue pursuing a career in theatre, similar to Clarkson’s trajectory. With the guidance and support of her mentors throughout her time at Fordham, Clarkson is grateful for the theatre department and the ways it boosted her experience following graduation. 

In an interview with Fordham News, Clarkson shared her belief that she could have used “just a little bit of help, a little bit of extra,” such as the opportunity she has now generated for future theatre students. 

The scholarship is directed toward helping students preparing to enter the industry following undergraduate studies. 

“I feel as if there is a really strong community between the current students, and I’ve seen examples of students receiving job opportunities from many already in the industry.” Zac Zwart, FCLC ’24

Riley Halpern, FCLC ’25 and a student on the performance track in the theatre program, said they look forward to hearing more details about the scholarship.

“It is a scary industry to be entering post-graduation because of the competition and limited opportunity, but having financial security like this is good,” Halpern said. “I most appreciate the generosity of our alumni network.”

Ryann Murphy, FCLC ’25 and a theatre student with a double concentration in performance and playwriting, said she is excited about the scholarship and sees this as a helpful boost to fixating on college funding and overall financial security.

“My initial thoughts on Patricia Clarkson’s scholarship was that it is great because theatre is not always the most lucrative career path and college in itself can be quite expensive,” she said.

Because financial aid and security may vary for students’ situations, receiving the Patricia Clarkson scholarship may help relieve recipients of worry about repaying their debts and loans following graduation.

“It is a scary industry to be entering post-graduation because of the competition and limited opportunity, but having financial security like this is good.”Riley Halpern, FCLC ’25

“I think when students don’t have to worry about the student financial aid office or cost of school, obviously, they do better and there is less to worry about,” Murphy said. 

Fordham theatre students expressed their gratitude for the opportunities alumni have generated for them and connections between past graduates and current students. This sentiment was echoed by Zac Zwart, FCLC ’24 and a Fordham theatre student, who feels the alumni connections are a pivotal backing to the success of many students’ education and career paths.

“I feel as if there is a really strong community between the current students, and I’ve seen examples of students receiving job opportunities from many already in the industry,” Zwart said.

“This scholarship will be awarded to a rising senior student who possesses the same fervor and determination in the pursuit of acting as well as demonstrated promise and potential.”May Adrales, director of the Fordham theatre program

Upon graduating from Fordham in 1982, Clarkson continued to earn a master’s of fine arts from the Yale School of Drama, graduating in 1985. 

Clarkson went on to win two Emmy Awards in 2002 and 2006 for her HBO drama series role as Sarah O’Connor in “Six Feet Under,” and she won a third Emmy in 2022 for her work on British comedy “State of the Union” as Ellen. 

In 2003, Clarkson was nominated for an Academy Award and Golden Globe for her work in “Pieces of April,” in which she held the role of Joy Burns. She won the latter award in 2019 for her performance in HBO’s miniseries “Sharp Objects,” playing Adora Crellin. 

Clarkson earned a 2015 Tony nomination for her Broadway performance in “The Elephant Man.”

She has also starred in popular films such as “The Green Mile” (1999) as Melinda Moores, “Shutter Island” (2010) as Rachel Solando, “Easy A” (2010) as Rosemary Pendergast, “Friends with Benefits” (2010) as Lorna, and “The Maze Runner” (2014) as Doctor Ava Paige. 

Students noted that seeing Fordham alum succeed in the arts and entertainment industry makes them hopeful.

“I think it is great that Fordham alumni are helping current theater students make it in the industry and I hope it continues,” Halpern said.