New FCLC Network Aims To Protect Against Hidden Cyber Threats

FCLC’s new network (FORDHAM LC-S) offers a level of security that was absent from the university’s previous wireless network. (Fatima Shabbir/The Observer)

By DAVID WALL

One thing that we as 21st century students absolutely can’t live without is the Internet. The Internet is a vital tool for doing school work, seeking employment, and social interaction. One would be hard pressed to find a student at this university that could imagine life without the Internet.

Fordham College at Lincoln Center (FCLC) knows this and provides us with a wireless service on campus. Granted the speed and stability is questionable at times, but for now we have it on campus. Now, students might be excited to hear that Fordham has implemented a new wireless network called FORDHAM LC-S.

If students hope this means a faster network with a stronger signal they may be disspointed. Michael Libonati, FCLC ’14  said, “Fordham’s new wireless connection hasn’t really been helpful. It’s actually been more problematic than the old one. Sometimes the Internet just won’t work [and] it drops.” In actuality, Fordham’s wireless speed and stability has not improved and any change in that respect is purely coincidental. In terms of speed and stability, the new network will continue to function at the same proficiency as the old one. So why do we need a new network? The answer is simple: better security.

According to IT student worker Dan Downs, FCLC ’13, this new network will ensure complete security for Fordham students. Downs explained that today’s viruses and malware are designed to be undetectable, sneaking past most security systems. Not only can malware get into your computer undetected, but it can also stay there, hidden. In effect, it’s very possible you could have a virus or spyware on your computer and you would not even realize it until it was too late.

Downs explained that while Fordham’s old security system was very good, it could not defend each individual connection at all times. These liabilities could lead to students getting their computer infected through no fault of their own. “New York is a big city,” Downs said.  “You never know who’s going to be around in cyberspace, waiting to break into a weak connection. The new Fordham network secures all individual connections 100 percent, ensuring complete security. This system is very important for the safety and security of our students online.” With a password protected network, bolstered with higher security measures, Fordham students can be sure that their computers and personal information will be safe.

“This is a positive change,” Downs said. “Even though performance hasn’t been improved, per se, security has and for us, security is a priority.” Fordham IT made the decision to change the network to guarantee student safety, a change which Downs agreed is very important. This means that the old network will eventually become obsolete. While no official date has been set for its removal, the old Fordham network will be slowly phased out over time. Its inability to ensure student safety is now a liability to both the school and the students, so a full switch to the new network is imperative.

Getting on the new network is easy, if you haven’t already done it. Simply go to your connectivity screen and choose FORDHAM LC-S. Once you’ve clicked on that, a prompt asking for you to put in a password will appear. For security reasons we can’t post the password here, but your IT student workers are more than happy to help, so stop by their office and they’ll hook you up with a completely secure wireless connection.