Facilities Management Department Detects No Issues in Classroom Temperatures

Regardless of a rise in concerns over classroom temperatures, Facilities reports that they have received the same amount of complaints as usual

JILL RICE

Students have complained that temperatures in classrooms are not consistent, especially in street level classrooms.

By OLIVIA LEDUC

Although there has been an upsurge in complaints about classroom temperatures, primarily in the street level (SL) classrooms, the Facilities Management department at Fordham certified that operations concerning classroom temperatures have been functioning properly. 

John McDonagh, director of facilities operations at Lincoln Center, stated that the team has not discovered any mishaps that may cause community members to sense unordinary temperature fluctuations in classrooms. The standard procedures to monitor the maintenance of facilities and classroom temperatures through the building management system have shown that everything is working properly, according to McDonagh.

A total of six complaints made by professors citing classroom temperatures have been filed for this semester, none of which were located in SL classrooms. McDonagh said these complaints are not an indication of any major issues.

“We usually receive an average amount of complaints regarding temperatures, but it is nothing out of the ordinary or something we don’t deal with on a normal basis.” John McDonagh, director of facilities operations at Lincoln Center

“We usually receive an average amount of complaints regarding temperatures, but it is nothing out of the ordinary or something we don’t deal with on a normal basis,” McDonagh said, adding that it is anticipated given the unpredictability of weather during the winter season. 

The complaints were responded to swiftly by Facilities Management and thus far have been “simple classroom temperature adjustments with a quick repair.” McDonagh said no further calls were received after services were made to the temperature issues. 

Students have discussed shared experiences of many classrooms, many in the newly opened SL classrooms, feeling warmer than usual. 

Arielle Schmid, Fordham College at Lincoln Center ’25, said that the matter of temperature has been mentioned by her professor and fellow students nearly every time their gender and sexuality class meets in SL11D, a classroom she believes has felt warmer since it initially opened.

“A few weeks into the semester, they (classrooms) started heating up … They’re a little stuffy as well, which makes the rooms feel warmer,” Schmid said, describing that it feels as though the rooms are less ventilated. 

She explained that their entire class was aware of the temperature problem, stating that when “a maintenance person comes in to tell us that the air has been fixed, the room is met with a sigh of relief.” 

McDonagh said that Facilities Management has been closely monitoring the newer classrooms with proper protocols and have not found any issues. The use of thermostats located in the classrooms gives Facilities Management real-time data of temperatures that allow for immediate moderation and to make adjustments accordingly.

“(Facilities Management) want(s) to make sure everyone is happy and that everything is taken care of.” John McDonagh

Following ongoing conversations among community members about the seemingly altered classroom temperatures, Facilities Management have since conducted thorough checks, where “everything appeared to be okay.”

Facilities Management will continue to examine temperature concerns through consultation with the department’s chief engineer. 

“When it pertains to comfort in classrooms and when we hear issues like this … (Facilities Management) want(s) to make sure everyone is happy and that everything is taken care of,” McDonagh said. 

McDonagh urged community members to contact Facilities Management if they have any concerns.