Food Restriction Lifted for Events

Clubs leaders hope attendance at events will increase following the university’s repeal of food ban

ALLIE STOFER

At Stove’s first show of the semester, pizza and beverages were served. The event also had a large turnout.

By OLIVIA LEDUC

Fordham’s policy prohibiting food and beverage at on-campus events posed the possibility of removing incentives for students to attend club events. Although the restriction was lifted on Feb. 2, the Office for Student Involvement (OSI) was preparing to attract the same amount of students, despite the previous ongoing policy.

OSI partnered with several clubs at the beginning of the semester to navigate the food and beverage restriction to create “successful events” with a focus on garnering high attendance rates, said Christina Frankovic, associate director for Student Involvement. 

“Since it is at the start of the semester, as is usually the case, many clubs are still working on planning and announcing their events, but we are excited to help support them in the planning process,” Frankovic stated.

“Many students choose to attend club events in order to meet other students, because they connect with the mission of the club or because of an opportunity or activity at the event.” Christina Frankovic, associate director for Student Involvement

According to Frankovic, attendance at on-campus club events has varied in the past, with the incorporation of food and beverages often attracting large scores of students, but other factors additionally motivate students to attend events. 

“Many students choose to attend club events in order to meet other students, because they connect with the mission of the club or because of an opportunity or activity at the event,” she said.

Spring semester’s club day, which did not provide food or beverage, drew 341 attendees. This was the highest attendance rate recorded at the event in the last few years even though food and beverage were previously served, Frankovic noted. Based on this turnout, she was optimistic that attendance would not be impacted by the policy restriction. 

Frankovic also believed a sense of community would not be hindered by the food and beverage restriction, as club leaders were diligently seeking creative solutions to attract students, including raffle prizes for attendees and other “engaging activities.”

As clubs continue to plan for future events, some requested a reallocation of funds, originally budgeted for food in the coming weeks, according to Cort McElroy, Fordham College at Lincoln Center (FCLC) ’24, chair of the Student Activities Budget Committee (SABC) and United Student Government treasurer. 

McElroy reported that some clubs were requesting additional funding to “expand upon resources” for events without food or beverage, with most clubs submitting food and drink requests for future events in the hopes that the policy would be lifted by then.

When the restriction remained in effect, McElroy said, “SABC will help clubs pivot to the temporary food policy in any way they can” and provide guidance in reallocation transitions. 

“I am very hopeful for the spring semester, as I think there are a lot of exciting activities and opportunities for students to engage with.” Christina Frankovic

Frankovic continues to anticipate that future events will succeed in attracting students to attend, encouraged by meaningful events created by various club leaders.

“I am very hopeful for the spring semester, as I think there are a lot of exciting activities and opportunities for students to engage with,” Frankovic said. 

Zuzanna Smurzynska, FCLC ’22 and president of the Campus Activities Board (CAB) at Lincoln Center, echoed Frankovic’s comments of optimism that a solid turnout of attendees was forecasted despite the preexisting policy. 

CAB now has plans in progress of on-and off-campus events inducing a standard attendance rate, with hopes that food will be incorporated at all of the events following the revokement of the restriction. 

We are hoping for the rest of the semester to resemble more of a ‘normal’ spring semester…we do think that (food) might bolster our event attendance a bit,” Smurzynska said. 

The unpredictability of the omicron variant has caused restrictions to change at Fordham and prompted a “go with the flow” mindset for planning events, according to Smurzynska. She said that support from fellow club members and club adviser has allowed arranging to be feasible for the semester.