Walkout for Hybrid Learning Sees Low Turnout

Only three students attended the walkout at the Lincoln Center campus and zero at Rose Hill

ALICE MORENO

John Lonie, the creator of the hybrid learning petition, during the Lincoln Center walkout on Jan. 24.

By CHRISTINA IOANNIDES and ALLIE STOFER

In response to Fordham’s decision to hold the spring semester fully in person, a petition circulated among the study body asking Fordham to implement a hybrid learning option for all spring classes. The petition, created by John Lonie, Fordham College at Lincoln Center ’22, has received 807 signatures as of Feb. 2. 

The call for a hybrid option comes alongside the rising number of COVID-19 cases from the omicron variant. Students expressed concerns about the lack of a virtual option for those who test positive for COVID-19 or those that have immunocompromised families. 

During the fall 2021 semester, Lonie organized a petition for a pass/fail grading option, citing the stress and anxiety that came along with the transition from online to in-person learning as a reason for more lenient grading. The petition was rejected by the administration. Lonie said that the attention he had garnered from the pass/fail petition led to many students asking him to help advocate for a hybrid option. 

Even though the petition for a hybrid learning option received over 800 signatures, the administration has not created such an option.

Many students had reached out to me to push for hybrid because I had already established a platform for advocacy through last semester’s pass/fail grading petition,” he said. 

Lonie also used the pass/fail Instagram account to encourage students to email the administration regarding implementing a hybrid option for classes. He created an email template for Fordham community members to use when contacting the deans at both Fordham Lincoln Center and Fordham Rose Hill. 

Even though the petition for a hybrid learning option received over 800 signatures, the administration has not created such an option. According to Bob Howe, assistant vice president for communications, contact tracing from last semester showed little evidence of COVID-19 transmission in classrooms where students and faculty wore masks. 

The thing that has made Fordham successful in offering in-person instruction has been the diligence and cooperation of our students, faculty, and staff,” Howe said. “That said, a new variant is always possible, and we are continually monitoring, and in dialogue with, federal, state, and local public health agencies.”

Despite receiving little response from the university, Lonie has continued his efforts to have his and other students’ voices heard by organizing walkouts at both Lincoln Center and FRH. Lonie held a walkout at Lincoln Center on Jan. 24. 

Only three students, including Lonie, attended the gathering outside of the Leon Lowenstein Center. In addition to the three students present, there were also administrators, including Jenifer Campbell, dean of students at Lincoln Center.

Campbell explained that the university was preparing as much as possible to hold classes in person. She also added that she has nothing against students voicing their opinions and had not heard concerns from students besides Lonie.

Lonie claimed that in addition to the few students in attendance outside of Lowenstein, there were an additional 75 to 100 students that directly messaged him stating that they had walked out of class. According to Lonie, the main reason that people did not stay was due to the cold weather. 

Lonie did not respond to The Observer’s request for proof of attendance. 

“We believe a full walk-out would help gain outside media publicity, which in turn will hold Fordham accountable to acknowledging our efforts.” John Lonie

The Lincoln Center walkout on Jan. 24 did not have a large turnout, but Lonie said he was hopeful for the one at Rose Hill. The walkout at Rose Hill was originally scheduled for Wednesday, Jan. 26, but was postponed until Monday, Jan. 31, to allow for better weather and for Lonie to work with other organizations. 

“We believe a full walk-out would help gain outside media publicity, which in turn will hold Fordham accountable to acknowledging our efforts,” he said. “In addition, we have reached out to on-campus organizations to help provide support and have reached out to community leaders for comment including the NYC Council member of the district and the state representatives.”

The Rose Hill walkout scheduled on Jan. 31 has since been postponed until further notice. According to Lonie, he is waiting to receive approval from Fordham for the protest. 

The Instagram account did not create a post informing students of the second postponement and did not delete the post about the walkout until over three hours after it was originally scheduled. The walkout was scheduled to take place outside of Keating Hall at 12 p.m., but no students were in attendance.