The Spiritual Roots and Physical Benefits of Veganism

Research into the vegan diet suggests multiple nurturing health benefits and potential lifestyle enrichment

MOLLY HIGGINS

Fordham’s dining options include vegan meals. Successfully and healthily living a vegan lifestyle requires special consideration to nutrition and budgeting.

By AASTHA AGGARWAL

I grew up in the glitzy suburbs of Juhu in Mumbai, the hub of the Bollywood industry. It was ingrained in me to have the cleanest diet and to uphold physical health and beauty as my utmost priority. 

From visiting nutritionists, I experienced the benefits of a vegan diet: most notably, radiant skin, long silky hair and a heightened immune system. I became so accustomed to this diet that my body stopped craving any sweets; all it craves is my homemade lentil rice soup.

In Indian culture, specifically in Hinduism, consuming meat and dairy products is taboo, and one has to brave social and cultural shaming for consuming meat. However, there is a spiritual rationale that promotes veganism, specifically pointing to the ancient texts of the Vedas. The Rigveda, an ancient Vedic text, condemns the killings of men, cattle and horses and the god Agni punishes those who disobey.

One of the most important considerations for a vegan diet is the impact on skin and hair health.

According to an Indian yoga guru from the Isha Institute of Inner Sciences, the process of cooking food destroys the life in it, and “when you eat live food, it brings a different level of aliveness in you.”

Health Benefits and Risks

Medical News illustrates the benefits of veganism, including improved heart health, as well as a lower risk of cancer and diabetes. However, a vegan diet excludes some essential vitamins and minerals.

It may lack sufficient quantities of omega-3 fatty acids, vitamin B-12, calcium and vitamin D. Doctors recommend that vegans add these vitamins as supplements, as a vegan diet may not provide a comprehensive nutritive profile.

Beauty Benefits of Veganism

One of the most important considerations for a vegan diet is the impact on skin and hair health. According to The Derm Collective, a consortium of dermatologists and biologists, a diet rich in fruits and vegetables can offer a range of benefits to the skin.

“Lately, my friends and I have been visiting SVK (Sous Vide Kitchen), which I think has some of the best options for vegans on campus.”Meg Schanes, Fordham College at Lincoln Center ’23

Acne, fine lines and wrinkles are alleviated by a vegan diet due to high consumption of fruits and vegetables that are rich in antioxidants. Diets rich in dairy have also been shown to cause fluctuations in hormone levels as well as inflammation.

On-Campus Options 

Meg Schanes, Fordham College at Lincoln Center (FCLC) ’23, has been vegan since middle school. She made the decision to be vegan due to animal rights activism. While finding vegan options while going out with her friends can be a challenge, Schanes believes that eating vegan on a college budget is doable. “Lately, my friends and I have been visiting SVK (Sous Vide Kitchen), which I think has some of the best options for vegans on campus,” Schanes said.

SVK, located near 62nd Street and the Fordham Law School entrance, features some of my favorite vegan options at Fordham, including the delicious Tofu Kickshaw Salad and a make-your-own bowl.

Although the vegan options offered by Fordham are relatively limited, they do contain a healthy mixture of carbohydrates, proteins and fats.

Although one may be tempted to rely on off-campus vegan options, Fordham also offers a selection of vegan items at its dining locations. The salad bar at the Ram Café has a selection of plant-based items. Vegan staples such as vegetables, chickpeas, hummus, greens, lentils, beans and assorted dressings are solid options if you’re looking for a balanced vegan diet.

Aside from the salad bar, finding quality vegan options at the Lincoln Center campus may be a struggle for students.

Freshens at the Ram Café has only a few vegan options for its wraps, salads, bowls and sandwiches.

There are vegan options in the rotating menu at the Community Dining Room, such as the Asian teriyaki noodles and the grilled black bean burger. 

Although the vegan options offered by Fordham are relatively limited, they do contain a healthy mixture of carbohydrates, proteins and fats along with the necessary fruits and vegetables. In fact, the assortment of salads and fruits may be more nutritious than the meat options available.

Navigating Costs as a Vegan

Many students find it difficult to find vegan options at a budgeted cost. However, one can still make purposeful decisions without breaking the bank.

Another way to practice veganism on a budget is to buy lentils and rice along with a few spices and coconut oil.

“I tend to buy a lot in bulk and gravitate towards shelf-stable and frozen foods,” Schanes said. Buying frozen vegetables and fruits can be a smart way to incorporate more nutrients into your diet without worrying about bulk items perishing.

Another way to practice veganism on a budget is to buy lentils and rice along with a few spices and coconut oil. These ingredients are all that is necessary to cook a vegan staple in India called “khichdi.” 

Take a measured amount of lentils and rice along with water and add the coconut oil and spices. Put it in an instant pressure cooker for 40 minutes on high. The end product is a complete mixture of protein, carbohydrates and fat.

botan

Despite requiring a little more effort, the pros of a vegan diet can outweigh the cons. One has to prioritize mental, physical and spiritual well-being over short-term gratification or minor inconveniences if they want to reap the benefits of going vegan.