Fordham Hires New Director of Residential Life Greg Jones

Following a five-month search, Greg Jones is appointed to lead the Office of Residential Life at Lincoln Center

ANDREW DRESSNER

Greg Jones, the new ResLife director, is excited to be working in a Jesuit university with a holistic education and close-knit campus.

By ALLIE STOFER

After the search for a new director of Residential Life (ResLife) began in June, Greg Jones was hired in late November. Jenifer Campbell, the former director, was promoted to a new role as dean of students at Lincoln Center. 

Jones was born in the Bronx, but, at the age of six months, his family moved to Farmington, Connecticut where he grew up. He received his bachelor of arts in history from Haverford College in Pennsylvania and went on to earn a master’s degree in higher education administration and policy from Northwestern University in Illinois.

While earning his master’s, Jones met his husband, Adam. They then moved back to the East Coast in the Boston area.  

Since graduating from Northwestern, Jones has worked at both Brandeis University and Boston College (BC). For the past six years, he worked at BC as director of housing operations, where he was in charge of 30 resident halls and about 7,500 students. Jones expressed that the experience has helped prepare him for his new position at Fordham Lincoln Center (FLC) for multiple reasons.

“Maintaining a positive outlook is key, but planning for the worst is a necessity.” Greg Jones, new ResLife director

“There are always many perspectives and opinions, and I’ve found it important to try to avoid making decisions hastily,” he said. “I’ve learned in my time working in residential life that no two days are identical, that plans often change, and that something will happen that could not be predicted. Maintaining a positive outlook is key, but planning for the worst is a necessity.”

Jones moved to Brooklyn in mid-August after his husband received a job offer to work for a theater company. He now lives in the Sunset Park neighborhood with his husband and their two dogs, Berry and Huck.  

The process of finding a new ResLife director took five months. Jones learned about the opportunity in mid-August, as he was moving from Boston to Brooklyn. 

“The best opportunities almost always arise in the midst of chaos,” he said.

“I’m excited to continue working at a Jesuit institution.” Greg Jones

The position of ResLife director first drew Jones in as it seemed like the best next step for him. He explained that he also really likes that Fordham is a Jesuit university.

“I’m excited to continue working at a Jesuit institution,” he said. “The emphasis on holistic education, caring for the whole person, and living authentically speak to my core values.”

Jones explained that the hiring process moved relatively quickly for him. He spoke with Campbell a few days after seeing the opening and then came to campus in mid-September and had the opportunity to speak with faculty, students and staff. 

Campbell noted that Jones was chosen because his “skillset aligned with what we are trying to accomplish in terms of the department and the fact that he has a number of assets that will be helpful in moving the department forward.”

Jones said that he is excited to be at FLC for multiple reasons, including the small size of the college.

“As someone who attended a small liberal arts college, I’m excited to be working on a smaller, close knit campus,” he said. “It’s also amazing that I get to work in one of the most vibrant parts of the city with some of the best artists and performers in the world just a few blocks away.”

“I’m excited to learn about what makes Fordham and the Lincoln Center campus special.” Greg Jones

As the outgoing director of ResLife, Campbell advised Jones to take time getting to know the university. She explained that this will give him the chance to “learn about Fordham and then know what it is he wants to change as it relates to the department.”

“I think he is going to be a great asset to the university,” she said.

Although Jones is aware that learning about a new campus will come with its challenges, he is eager to learn about Fordham’s campus culture. 

“Every school has their own history, environment, culture, protocols, concerns, and idiosyncrasies,” Jones said. “I’m excited to learn about what makes Fordham and the Lincoln Center campus special and how I can help make the school a great place for everyone.”