The ‘Life Support’ Tour: A Remarkable Experience in NYC

After a year without live performances, Madison Beer shines with her execution of ‘Life Support’

OLIVIA LEDUC

Madison Beer stunned fans in her hometown with “Life Support.”

By OLIVIA LEDUC

With luminous melodies, orchestral high notes and echoing instrumentals that filled the volume of the arena, rising pop singer and social media influencer Madison Beer proved her debut studio album “Life Support” to be just as incredible, if not better, in concert than on any streaming service. 

Beer’s “Life Support” tour is her first since the initial COVID-19 outbreak that temporarily ended live performances. Scheduled from Oct. 18 to Nov. 28, Beer will perform in numerous metropolitan cities, and she has already appeared in NYC in October. 

On Oct. 24, at the live music venue Terminal 5, a couple of blocks down from Fordham Lincoln Center (FLC), Madison Beer produced a phenomenal show that left fans in her hometown speechless.

Fans patiently waiting for Beer’s arrival were met abruptly by a sudden wind of the enchanting tunes of “The Beginning,” a non-lyrical track that opened the NYC leg of the tour. Cheers accompanied the sea of cell phones that were raised to the roof, attempting to catch the first glimpse of the singer.

Concertgoers screamed so loud that Beer’s own voice was inaudible from the near back of the venue.

Beer appeared on stage with two backup dancers and fiercely kicked off with one of her lead singles, “Baby,” a sensual song with heavy R&B influence and PG-13 lyrics. The song generated vibrations on the venue floor and lively energy among the crowd when she belted, “If you wanna be my baby, know I’m gonna drive you mad / Probably gonna call me crazy, I’m the best you’ve ever had.”

The unmatchable spark and the roar of the crowd continued into the performance of her lead single, “Good In Goodbye,” a widely popular anthem that uses clever wordplay to say goodbye to a toxic lover. “You put the ‘over’ in lover, put the ‘ex’ in next / Ain’t no ‘I’ in trouble, just the ‘U’ since we met / ’Cause you’re toxic, boy / I ain’t even gotta try to find the / G-O-O-D in goodbye.” Concertgoers screamed so loud that Beer’s own voice was inaudible from the near back of the venue.

Following the exuberance of her first two songs came “Stay Numb And Carry On,” dialing down the vibrancy of the crowd as Beer sang about the emotional traumas she has endured throughout her career.

Beer’s rendition of pain continued to ramp up throughout the concert with her performance of “Emotional Bruises,” a letter to a past lover with whom she cannot reconcile; the pain they have inflicted on her made her reach the point where she feels the need to go on “life support,” a tribute to the album title. 

“Shouldn’t love you, but I couldn’t help it / Had a feeling that you never felt it / I always knew that you were too damn selfish / Don’t know why I looked the other way,” are arguably some of Beer’s most popular lyrics in her second single from the album, “Selfish,” which surfaced on TikTok and garnered widespread attention online.

Beer crafted a melancholy rendition of the song, certifying her talent vocally when she sang high notes on her knees while the crowd erupted in deafening applause.

The venue filled with the sound of birds chirping and Beer’s melting vocals.

Near the end of the show, Beer asked the crowd, “Has anyone seen a white rabbit?” which transitioned into her song “Follow The White Rabbit,” a spin-off of the tale of “Alice in Wonderland” and her favorite movie, “The Matrix.” The haunting lyrics introduced electronic elements as Beer approached the conclusion of the night, moving into the show closer, “Everything Happens For A Reason.”

With a song seemingly straight out of a fairytale, the venue filled with the sound of birds chirping and Beer’s melting vocals. Her pleading refrain of “I still love you” was matched by the harmonious singing of the crowd, swaying their hands back and forth. 

As the show ended, explosions of pink confetti trickled through the air. People reached to collect falling pieces as Beer kissed her crowd goodbye. As people began to pile out of the venue doors, the “Life Support” atmosphere was unreal. Many fans in the audience had just experienced their first in-person concert since the pandemic began. 

Such concerts are appealing to students at Fordham for a sense of normalcy and the rare opportunity to see a singer live in concert, just a subway ride away from campus.

Beer is not the only star who recently performed in the city, as we have seen the lineup of September’s “Governors Ball Music Festival,” and most notably Harry Styles’ spectacular two-night sold-out show dubbed “Harryween” at Madison Square Garden. 

Nonetheless, the revival of concerts in the city that was once asleep has demonstrated that the culture of NYC is back and better than ever. This comeback is felt by FLC students, many of whom have attended concerts throughout the five boroughs, as life slowly starts to feel “normal” again. 

Whether they feature Beer or another live performer, such concerts are appealing to students at Fordham for a sense of normalcy and the rare opportunity to see a singer live in concert, just a subway ride away from campus. 

Beer cements her “Life Support” tour as a prominent return to the music industry with an awe-inspiring effect that may leave you, like its star performer, needing “life support.”

Read more concert coverage here.