Fordham to Require Masks for the Fall 2021 Semester

A rise in COVID-19 cases calls for updates to the mask policy and limitations on unvaccinated students and guests on campus

ESMÉ BLEECKER-ADAMS

All students, regardless of vaccination status, are required to wear masks on campus. Unvaccinated individuals with religious or medical exemptions are not allowed to eat in indoor dining areas or attend indoor events.

The university announced on Aug. 19, 2021, that, following the guidelines from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, all students will once again be required to wear masks indoors while on campus. Fordham also announced that unvaccinated students will not be allowed in certain indoor areas. These new mandates are due to the rising number of COVID-19 cases from the Delta variant

This update to the mask policy comes just two weeks after Fordham reminded unvaccinated individuals that masks are required and recommended that vaccinated individuals wear masks indoors. Fordham originally planned to not have any mask requirement in place.

Fordham continues to require all employees and students to be fully vaccinated unless given a medical or religious accommodation from the university. As a result of the Key to NYC program, unvaccinated individuals will not be permitted to eat in indoor dining areas, use the athletic facilities or partake in indoor entertainment events. 

The Key to NYC program began on Aug. 17 and requires all patrons of indoor dining and entertainment facilities to show proof of being fully vaccinated. For proof, people can use different apps, such as NYC COVID Safe or the Excelsior Pass, or show their vaccination card. 

In addition to the new protocol for unvaccinated individuals, Fordham will also only allow vaccinated guests on campus for specific reasons. These include events and tours for vaccinated parents and prospective students, Fordham-sponsored indoor events for vaccinated alumni and indoor athletic events for vaccinated guests. 

Any individual who is not part of Fordham’s VitalCheck system will be required to show proof of vaccination upon entry to campus.