From the 1980s to the 2010s, people have been reading The Observer in all different styles of clothing. Keep track of your answers and add up your points at the end to find out what fashion era best suits your style.
1. It is a spring day; you plan to grab a copy of The Observer, go on a walk and read in the park. What are you wearing?
An athletic-leisure outfit (4)
A faux leather jacket and ripped jeans (1)
An oversized sweater and jeans (2)
A sweatshirt and cargo pants (3)
2. When shopping for new clothes, what draws your attention?
Anything black or metallic (3)
Bold colors (1)
3. Where do you get your fashion inspiration from?
The street (1)
Social media (4)
4. How would you describe your style?
5. What is your favorite event to get dressed for?
Going out (3)
Staying home and casual (2)
Working out (4)
Going to the store (1)
6. What is your favorite article of clothing?
A flannel shirt (2)
A sweater (1)
A sweatshirt (3)
7. The Observer is writing a features piece on you and has offered to purchase you a new outfit for the accompanying photoshoot; where are you going shopping?
A chain retailer (i.e. PacSun, JCPenney, etc.) (3)
A thrift store (2)
A brand’s online store (i.e. Fjällräven, Supreme) (4)
8. What is one outfit you could never be caught wearing around the Fordham Lincoln Center campus?
An ugly sweater and high-waisted pants (4)
A “Gap” sweatshirt and faded jeans (3)
A tracksuit (2)
An oversized t-shirt, ripped jeans and Birkenstocks (1)
9. What is your favorite material for clothing?
10. What movie would you most like to imitate a fashion look from?
“Queen & Slim” (4)
“Legally Blonde” (3)
Scores: Add up your responses to find out which era suits you best.
10-16: the 1980s
You are bold, creative and love to experiment with colors. Your style is defined by both inspiration from the past and your own stylistic ideas.
17-24: the 1990s
You are minimalistic, love to blur the lines between casual and classy, and are true to yourself. Your style can fluctuate between grunge and high fashion depending on your current emotions.
25-32: the 2000s
You are a pop culture lover who draws inspiration from celebrities, movies and television. Your style is of the utmost importance to your social life, as a good outfit can make or break a night out.
33-40: the 2010s
You are innovative, sensitive to global trends and in touch with the impact of technology on what you wear. Your style is defined by versatility and is influenced by social media, hype brands and your environment.
Joe Kottke, Fordham College at Lincoln Center ’23, is a news editor at The Observer and is majoring in journalism and Spanish. When they are not writing, Joe can be found taking photographs, re-reading their favorite young adult fiction novels or smothering food in hot sauce.
Esmé Bleecker-Adams, FCLC ’21, is a visual arts major and (oh-so-jaded) New Yorker who is incredibly grateful for her time at The Observer and for all the lovely people she has met there! Favorite hobbies include sewing, playing table tennis and ignoring her alarm clock.