Senior Spotlight: Graduating Class Tells Their Tales

By SUNNY KHAHERA

Mia Reyes, one of the seniors, share some of her memories from Fordham College at Lincoln Center.

For many seniors, it seems like only yesterday that they were starting their college careers during freshman orientation. In the four years since then, they’re now about to go through another monumental change in their lives: graduation. Every senior is dealing with some dilemma or another. Finding a job after graduation, remaining close with their college friends, and of course, figuring out future plans with their significant other are just some of the challenges facing the class of 2011. Four seniors here at Fordham College at Lincoln Center (FCLC) were interviewed to reflect upon their last four years.

Crisha Shahzad

FCLC ’11

Observer Would you ever come to Fordham to look for a job in your line of work?

CS: I think I would. I wouldcertainly be apprehensive about it though since I do not think Fordham does a good job at making that seem like an easy going and friendly option.

Observer:Any advice for Fordham in the future?

CS: Fordham needs to get more aggressive (in a super friendly, approachable way) about career services and be explicitly clear on what opportunities they are offering.

Observer: What was the best thing that happened to you during these last four years here?

CS: CSTEP program-they offer academic advising and mentoring as well as group support to “minorities” (I do not like that term though, as it tends to imply inferiority).

Observer: What was your favorite year here and why?

CS: Senior year. I was able to take classes that truly interested me and was able to thoroughly enjoy them, especially after I secured  a job late January of this year. Socially- I couldn’t be happier with my friends. As you become more comfortable with yourself go can kind of innately tell who’s good for you and who’s simply not.

Observer: Best piece of advice that you didn’t get until after you needed it?

CS: Start interning right away! Don’t push that opportunity aside to “work on your grades.” It’s through these internships that you discover passion for a certain field or escapable misery.

Mia Reyes

FCLC ’11

Observer:Would you ever come to Fordham to look for a job in your line of work?

MR:I wouldn’t rule it out. Never say never—I grew up across the street from Rose Hill and never thought I would have ended up at Fordham and here I am!

Observer:What’s  the one thing FCLC really needs to improve?

MR:Encouraging students to be active in the community. Even though I’m a Bronx native, I’ve learned so much more about New York City from doing service-learning with the Dorothy Day Center [for Service and Justice]. Learning about the city’s disparities made me realize what a privilege it was  to be a Fordham student and to be able to live in this city. The Dorothy Day Center has so many connections with organizations that any student can find something they’re interested in, and Fordham should find more ways to introduce students to this.

Observer:What was the best thing that happened to you during these last four years here?

MR:The best thing that happened to me was being able to study abroad. Being on your own in a foreign country teaches you a lot about yourself and what’s important to you. I changed in unprecedented ways that I probably wouldn’t have if I stayed in New York and it really prepared me for the challenges of my senior year.

Observer:Which school year was the best for you, socially and academically speaking?

MR: No school year is academically and socially good at the same time. You either have one or the other. But by senior year I finally, finally learned how to balance both well. I’m not able to go out all the time but I’ve learned to make the most of the time I have with my family, friends and boyfriend (even if it means library study dates).

Observer:Best piece of advice that you didn’t get until after you needed it?

MR:When I was registering for my senior year classes while abroad and realized I had to take a summer class on top of working full time, which in turn got me unnecessarily worrying about my future. I called my father in a panic and he told me that I was only 20 and shouldn’t be worrying. So much of college is focused on trying to figure out the rest of your life and centering your major around your future that a lot of students (especially seniors) deal with anxiety about the future. It turns out my anxiety was unnecessary—I just followed what felt right and made me happy and, as a plus, found a job where I could do just that after graduation.

Joseph Martinez

FCLC ’11

Observer:What club organization did you most enjoy being a part of at FCLC?

JM:I think I have made some great memories being a tour guide for the Lincoln Center Society and most recently as a Resident Freshmen Mentor on the ResLife Staff.  I have enjoyed both so much because of the amount of time I get to spend with so many different people.  For example, it is always fun to meet prospective students from all over the country and the world and show them why I chose to come to Fordham.

Observer:In the last four years, have you ever gotten tired of everything at FCLC ? The city, class, the cafeteria?

JM:Not really, actually. I knew what I was getting into when I came to FCLC (in regards to the small community). I’m really going to miss Fordham, all two buildings of it! I think the community never let it get boring for me. I wouldn’t trade the friends I’ve made at Fordham for anything in the world.

Observer:If you had one piece of advice for the freshman class, what would it be?

JM: Be open, honest and flexible.  Plans change, people change, and that’s OK.  The important thing is not dwell on what didn’t work out and focus on what you can make work.

Observer: What was the dating scene like for you at FCLC?

JM: I have had only one encounter with the FCLC “dating scene” and that lasted until March of my freshman year.  Since we’re a small community, I like to branch out in that department (perhaps a little too far out). Meeting people outside of Fordham keeps things interesting for me. Should it not work out I like to come back to Fordham for comfort.

Observer: What’s one thing you didn’t get to do in your four years that you would have liked to?

JM: As much as I hate to admit it, I didn’t get to see as much of New York  City that I would have liked.  To be honest, with classes, work and other social activities, there still hasn’t been enough time.  I’m not that worried about that though because I’ve had the time of my life these past four years.  Besides, it just gives me all the more reason to come back to  New York City.