Wasting Time is a Terrible Thing to Mind

By TIFFANY MEGNATH

As college students, we do our fair share of procrastinating. While parents and professors usually look down on this daily ritual, embrace it from March 7 to March 13. The five Web sites below will give you a head start on National Procrastination Week, and as ironic as that seems, procrastination isn’t all bad. We need a break from time to time, right? Enjoy!

YumSugar.com

From teaching you to perfectly pan-seared steaks to providing recipes for homemade movie snacks like chocolate-caramel popcorn with macadamia nuts, YumSugar.com is a go-to Web site for anyone who wants to learn to cook. They have a weekly section with recipes and little food articles for your procrastinating pleasure. Even if you aren’t planning to actually make all the delicious recipes you see (with a college student’s schedule, how could you?), the photos are fabulous and look so much better than that blank Word document you have on your screen.

CHECK OUT: Chicken Tomatillo Enchiladas

Sporcle.com

When you are procrastinating, why not be productive? Even if you aren’t finishing that presentation for tomorrow, shouldn’t you brush up on the countries of Europe? Sporcle is full of quizzes, from trivial to educational, that are quite addictive. “Quizzes on Countries of the World,” “Three Letter Body Parts” and “NFL Teams” are on Sporcle’s list of most popular games. Besides being a time-wasting device, it can also serve as a study guide—if your professor plans to quiz you on corporate logos or Harry Potter.

CHECK OUT: The Simpsons

WhenParentsText.com

Have you ever received a text message from a parent that left you baffled or laughing at its unintended meaning? WhenParents Text.com is a site that documents some of the best user-submitted texts message snippets, all between parents and their children. According to its Web site, “When Parents Text is dedicated to documenting the trials and errors that come when a parent handles a cell phone.” While some are sweet and can’t stop you from grinning, other will have you cackling at your computer screen.

CHECK OUT: The Best of the Month Section

PassiveAgressiveNotes.com

Passive Aggressive Notes is a funny site that documents “painfully polite and hilariously hostile notes” from annoyed people, according to its Web site. It’s hard not to smile or chuckle after browsing through this site. Most of the notes are left in offices or schools and curtly state what the writer wants. Some even have pictures of follow-up notes that are witty, too. The threads are categorized, so pick a category and enjoy; you have another hour to finish any homework before your 1 p.m. class.

CHECK OUT: The “Word!” of the Day Section

MapCrunch.com 

If the view outside your dorm window is getting dreary and you start to feel that you’d rather be anywhere but here, click over to MapCrunch.com. This site is simple in its approach, but remarkable in its output. It generates randomized Google Street View images from countries around the world. If you like the idea of traveling, these photos can keep you occupied for a while. A few clicks took me to Portugal, Canada, Hong Kong and South Africa, and the images were not only stunning, but also interesting.

CHECK OUT: The View of the Day