A Potential Pop Star and a Costumed Crusader

By NADINE DENINNO

With an astronomical amount of people in New York City, and only half of them dateable (maybe?), dating at Fordham College at Lincoln Center (FCLC) should be a cinch. With about 2,000 students crammed onto eight acres, your dating guru selects the cream of the crop, so you don’t have to do the legwork. This edition, we have Stephen Williams, FCLC ’12, who is a personal assistant for P. Diddy and a purveyor of music, and Sophie Stanish, FCLC ’12, who is passionate about LGBTQ rights and frequently carries a sword, no paradox intended.

Full Name: Stephen Williams

Class Year: FCLC ’12

Age: 20

Sexual Orientation: Sexual

Major: Communications and Spanish

Hometown: Baltimore, MD

Height: 5’10”

Eyes: Brown

Hair: Black

What do you like to do with your free time?

Make music. I like to think that the music transcends a genre classification. I think you can find influences from all types of music with what I do. The videos I put on YouTube are mainly pop but I have things in the works that are much more than that.

What does your typical weekend consist of?

Hanging out with friends. Sometimes we like to just chill out and watch movies. And other times… we like to get a little reckless if you know what I mean [laughs].

What are you passionate about?

Music, art, creation, Spanish.

Do you have turn ons? Turn offs?

Too many to name here.

Do you have a weekly ritual or any innocent addictions?

I work out and go for five-mile runs pretty often.

Do you have a job besides being a student?

I’m an intern for P. Diddy. I work for his personal office. I help handle his finances. I also help with the upkeep of his NYC apartment. If his kids need anything, we’ll take care of it, whatever it may be. I just got a bike fixed for his son yesterday and sent off Valentine’s Day gifts for his daughters. Oh, and his parties are pretty amazing.

What makes you stand out in a crowd?

Inhibitions are nonexistent.Usually, when people are in crowds, they do everything they can to not stand out. Me, on the other hand, I’ll do everything I can to stand out regardless of how silly or crazy I’ll look. It’s the performer in me.

What was the best day of your life?

Being born and graduating high school. Graduation was amazing because I wasn’t a huge fan of high school. An all-boys, private, Catholic school isn’t really conducive to who I am. There were times when I literally thought that high school would never end, and when it did, the joy I felt was indescribable.

What do you want to be when you grow up (AKA when you graduate)?

Create beautiful music, movies and babies…much later, though.

Do you have a favorite movie?

“The Social Network.”

Do you watch television regularly?

Of course!

Do you have any random or interesting facts about yourself?

I have the strangest views about the most controversial topics. I don’t believe in labels for many things like race, gender, sexuality and politics. Not one word can be used to classify someone on such complex and ambiguous concepts. I say that race is merely a social construction of reality that has no real meaning. I believe that humans are merely sexual (not heterosexual, not homosexual, not bisexual…just sexual). Transgender identifications are more common and natural than people think. And to be purely conservative or purely liberal is just plain silly.

Have you recently gotten out of a relationship or have you been single for a while?

Been single forever.

Why would you say you’re single?

I choose to be. I have no time for a relationship [laughs]. I barely find time to do the things I need to do. Also, I have my whole life to have a relationship. I’d rather get where I want to be in life and then look for love. But that’s just me.

What was your longest relationship?

The few little puppy love relationships I had when I was younger do not count as real relationships. Middle school flings and high school “relationships” that last a week shouldn’t even be acknowledged, in my opinion.

If you could be any animal, what would you be?

A lion.

What was the best or worst date you’ve been on?

Never had one.

Not even like a “casual” one? 

Nope. Not one [laughs]. Who wants to be my first?

What is your ideal date?

Not sure… surprise me!

Describe yourself in 10 words or less.

Free and creative.

Do you have a life motto that you live by?

Love yourself.

Have you ever been in love?

I think twice.

Full Name: Sophie Stanish

Class Year: FCLC ’12

Age: 21

Sexual Orientation: Gay

Major: Classic Civilizations

Hometown: Devon, PA

Height: 6’

Eyes: Blue

Hair: Many colors, I have no idea.

What activities do you participate in?

I’m the treasurer of Rainbow Alliance, the president of LC Chamber Singers, and a member of diversity peer educators, LC Society, Theatre Outreach Program at Rose Hill and ISIS.

What is your ideal date?

I’m boring, we can just hang out. I’ll make dinner, watch a movie. Cuddle. I like cuddling.

I don’t have free time. That’s a lie… when I have free time I sit on my bed and watch bad television. Or dress in costume.

I watch Disney movies. I like to do random fun shit that involves dressing up because I like to be around weird people; then I feel normal.

What are you passionate about?

Over the summer, I worked for a human rights campaign and I learned about LGBTQ rights and applying them to my life. I got more passionate about that because I didn’t know too much about it. I never thought about LGBTQ rights in terms of myself before.

Do you have turn ons?

Freckles. You’re just like ‘Ooooh, freckles!’ A great laugh, and by great, I mean hilarious. Not necessarily a nice laugh, which is awesome, but a funny laugh.

Do you have turn offs?

Excessive licking of fingers. Like you hang out with people and they eat something and then [puts fingers in mouth]. Some people suck on their fingers and it’s just weird. People who don’t blink enough, people who stare at you and make really intense eye contact. It’s too intense.

Do you have any innocent addictions?

Currently I am obsessed with this TV show that was cancelled last year, called “Legend of the Seeker.” It’s a badly written version of Lord of the Rings. What’s not to like about this?

Do you have a weekly ritual?

Every week I get to go up to Rose Hill and wander around and try to find someone I know. I was suffering from withdrawal… I was up there for two months. I was in a play so we had rehearsal every night. I got used to being up there during the night, taking the Metro-North back and walking from Times Square.

What makes you stand out in a crowd?

I’m really tall so usually people can see me when they walk in. I’m also very loud and usually my hair is a really bright color. I always tend to wear really weird stuff and carry my sword around. Stuff like that.

You carry a sword?

Not a lot, but sometimes I do. It’s an authentic replica of a Roman Gladius my Latin teacher in high school gave to me. He felt a connection to us and gave us all swords.

Do you have any fears?

I am super afraid of zombies, but only when I am asleep. I love watching zombie movies and reading zombie stories and being one at ZombieCon. I am always thinking about any situation and how to get out of a zombie attack in case it happens.

What do you want to be when you grow up?

My secret ambition is to be a shadow queen of an organization. I want to be the one who makes all of the work happen and no one knows about me. I’m thinking of a non-profit organization.

Do you have a celebrity crush?

It usually depends on what show I’m watching. When I’m watching “Legend of the Seeker,” Brigitte Regan. When it’s “How I Met Your Mother,” it’s Alyson Hannigan.

I was canvassing with a group called “The Fund.” We canvassed all over Manhattan, upstate [New York], some parts of Connecticut and some parts of  New Jersey. I was surprised to see how many people gave me their credit card info. I had one of the highest stop ratios in the area, 49.3 per day.

How was that experience?

I look back on it and it was a really good time and the people I worked with were fantastic. I had bad days, people are assholes, but then there are really awesome people, people that are really receptive and willing to talk to you. You get to meet celebs just walking down the street. You meet a lot of crazy people but you meet a lot of really cool people too, especially door canvassing.

Do you have a celebrity look-a-like?

People tell me I look like Ellen Degeneres or Jane Lynch. They say, ‘It’s just because you’re a tall, blonde, funny lesbian.’ One time, a guy stopped me and said, ‘Your bone structure looks just like Ellen’s!’ I was like ‘I don’t know what to do with that, but thanks!’ That’s what other people tell me.