Finals, Paper, Life: Finding it Hard to Cope? Learn the Ancient Practice of Yoga!

By Creating a Balance Between the Body and the Mind, Students Can Overcome the Stress of Finals

By SADIA NOOR

It seems like there’s no end to the intense misery that finals week brings to students at Fordham. Between the coffee-ringed notes, sleepless nights, hyperactive roommates, 10-page term papers and marathon computer sessions, it’s hard to concentrate on anything long enough to actually absorb any information. In the midst of all this stress, the last thing on anyone’s mind is working out.

But here’s the catch; working out can actually help students pass their finals. Exercising and stretching between long periods of studying can increase blood flow to the brain, which helps you focus and concentrate on the task at hand. Because the brain is more or less regulating everything in your body, the increased blood flow can also help improve memory. In addition, working out aids students in sleeping better at night, which has major positive effects on our mood and stress levels (not to mention sleep is just awesome).

One great way to stretch and maybe get your daily workout in is yoga! An ancient Hindu practice, yoga disciplines the mind and body into a perfect balance. Meditation, easy breathing and physical postures are all components of a balanced yoga routine. Here are a few easy-to-execute yoga positions that are sure to help you get recharge, de-stress and focus:

Child Pose

Kneel and sit on the floor with your knees about hip-width apart  with your big toes touching. Place your forehead on the floor and then swing your arms forward, so your palms are on the floor. Breathe deeply.

What’s in it for you?

The child pose stretches your hips, quadriceps and back; helps relieve stress and fatigue; and calms your brain. It can also reduce lower back tightness, which can become a problem if you’re sitting at your desk or too long.

Tree Pose

Stand with your legs and feet together. Then, slowly raise your right foot and place it on the inside of your upper left leg. As you breathe deeply, raise your arms to the side and bring your palms together in front of your heart. Then, lift your arms overhead, maintaining your balance.

What’s in it for you?

While you’re literally centering your body, you can also use this pose to center your mind to focus on any task like that pile of philosophy reading screaming your name. The tree pose is also completely effective for helping improve your balance.

Bridge pose

Lie on your back with your legs hip-width apart, knees bent, and the soles of your feet pressed to the floor. Place your arms along your side on the floor with your palms facing downwards. Slowly lift your hips to the ceiling while keeping your feet and palms on the floor. For an added challenge, move your arms over your head.

What’s in it for you?

This move is great for reducing stress and promoting relaxation. By doing the bridge pose, you’re opening up your chest and lungs, allowing you to take deeper breaths and absorb more oxygen. More oxygen means extra energy for your body and brain.

Camel Pose

Kneel on the ground and place your hands on your lower back. Inhale and slowly arch backwards, letting your head hang gently. Feel free to take your hands off your back and grab your feet in order to get more of a stretch. When you’re coming out of the pose, you should go back to supporting your lower back with your hands.

What’s in it for you?

The camel pose is another pose that increases blood circulation through the body. This will improve disturbed sleep, stress, anxiety, depression and headaches basically, all the symptoms of finals week.

The Corpse

Lie flat on your back with your arms and legs spread slightly. Close your eyes and focus all your thoughts on your breathing.

What’s in it for you?

The difficulty of the corpse pose has nothing to do with the movement, but with the fact that all your concentration is centered on relaxing and deep thought. If you can do that, you can definitely focus on your textbook long enough to get that A!

These yoga exercises are an effective way to fire up your brain cells and prep for the two grueling finals weeks we all have to endure. And if yoga’s not your cup of tea, there are tons of other ways to get de-stressed: take a walk through Central Park, hit the gym and do cardio, walk to the farthest supermarket and carry your groceries back to the dorms. Just get your body active and you’ll breeze through your exams!