BREAKING: Spring Study Abroad Programs Canceled

ANDREW BEECHER

Students whose programs were canceled will have the option to defer their application to either the 2021 summer or fall semester; they can also withdraw their application to receive a refund of the application fee.

By JOE KOTTKE

Due to a resurgence of the coronavirus around the world, Dennis Jacobs, provost and senior vice president for academic affairs, announced the suspension of Fordham’s spring study abroad programs in a community-wide email on Oct. 20. 

Jacobs cited the inability to ensure that the “testing, sanitation, social distancing, and quarantining protocols” in the 28 countries included in the spring 2021 programs will be comparable to Fordham’s efforts on campus in New York.

Students who submitted applications for spring 2021 programs received an email from Director of International & Study Abroad Programs Joseph Rienti prior to Jacobs’ message. Students will have the option to defer their application to either the 2021 summer or fall semester; they can also withdraw their application to receive a refund of the application fee. 

Students were sent a Google Form that they must submit with their decisions by Nov. 1.

According to Jacobs, impacted students can still register for spring courses in New York as well as choose to live on campus for the upcoming spring semester.

Faculty who normally teach abroad at the Fordham London Centre or in Granada, Spain, will offer some of their courses virtually. International internship opportunities will be offered virtually this year.

The International & Study Abroad Programs Office will hold virtual meetings on Oct. 21 and Oct. 22 to discuss different cultural engagement and global learning opportunities for the spring semester. 

Jacobs said that the university remains hopeful that they will “be able to lift the suspension of study abroad in time for summer 2021.”

This is a developing story. Check back for updates.