Letter to the Editor: In Response to “Have Empathy for Fordham’s Financial Situation”

newspapers

“Dear Editor,

I was deeply upset at the student editorial “Have Empathy for Fordham’s Financial Situation.” How could something so tone-deaf be published? You claim that students should “have a little empathy for the Fordham Administration,” which is a perfectly valid argument. But what about the fact that students have heard little to nothing from residential life about the status of move-out? How about the students that have parents without jobs, lost paid internships/jobs, or are struggling to make plans for housing next semester? Have you thought about all the members of the Fordham community who have been afflicted with COVID-19?

It is this shocking lack of empathy for the community at large that makes your editorial so tone-deaf. When this administration sends out limited communications about the next steps, when I have received rehearsed emails from the administration about how one of my professors cannot be held to account for a racist joke made about the pandemic, and when the obscene amount of money spent on fledgling athletics does not go to students in need, my patience wears thin. The confidence I had in your newspaper to be “the voice of the students” has been lost. I am unsure if it will return.”

— Sean de Ganon, FCLC ’22