FACE AIDS Prepares For MasquerAIDS Bal

By STEFANIE WHEELER

Published: March 2, 2011

FACE AIDS is a national activist organization aimed at bringing awareness to HIV/AIDS.  The FACE AIDS sector at Fordham College at Lincoln Center (FCLC) is currently in its third year as a campus club, and last year hosted the most widely-attended FCLC campus event, the MasquerAIDS Ball.  Katie Berry, FCLC ’11 and president of FACE AIDS at FCLC, said she is hopeful that this year’s Masquerade Ball will be just as successful. The event will take place March 10 at 7 p.m. in the FCLC Atrium.

Katie Berry, FCLC ’11 and Morgan Greene, FCLC ’10, coordinated the 2010 MasquerAIDS Ball at FCLC. (Katie Berry/The Observer)

The Observer: For those who are not familiar with FACE AIDS, can you tell me a little bit about the organization as a whole?

Katie Berry: It’s a student movement that started at Stanford University to heighten the awareness of HIV/AIDS and to fight the stigma surrounding the disease.  The same stigma that was there 30 years ago is still here today, and it’s not right.  We try to heighten the awareness of the disease and educate people on it so the negative connotation will fade away. FACE AIDS at FCLC is currently in its third year and run by a committee of six people.

Observer: What are some of the fundraising efforts FACE AIDS has taken to raise money for HIV/AIDS victims?

K.B.: FACE AIDS hires women in African countries to make pins and we sell them right here at FCLC. 100 percent of the proceeds are donated to help pay for HIV/AIDS medical care in Africa. So not only are we empowering [those affected by HIV/AIDS] by giving them jobs, we also help them afford the medicine they need to survive this disease.

Observer: How will FACE AIDS raise money via the MasquerAIDS Ball?

K.B.: We don’t sell tickets, but we do sell masks at the event for two dollars each. The whole idea behind the masks is that it serves as a metaphor for our efforts to heighten awareness of HIV/AIDS. We want to unmask the stigma of the disease and unveil the human behind the mask.  AIDS can affect everyone no matter what socio-economic class, race, gender or ethnicity you are. I think it’s important for people to realize that.

Observer: The MasquerAIDS Ball was the most widely-attended FCLC campus event last year. How do you predict this year will turn out?

K.B.: Last year over 100 people attended and we raised close to $800.  This year all I can hope for is another great turn out; however, I do feel like the website isn’t responding as well as it did last year.  We’re trying to compensate by having bake sales on the plaza and hoping we get a large amount of donations at the actual event.

Observer: What can FCLC expect from this year’s MasquerAIDS Ball?

K.B.: The event will be fully catered and there will be live musical guests, dancing, and all around a lot of fun for a good cause. The Ball is something positive and will help bring a positive connotation to a disease that’s so negative.

Observer: Is FACE AIDS collaborating with any other clubs for this event?

K.B.: Not officially yet.  This year we wanted to have [the event] in February, but the dates didn’t work out, so we’re doing it in March.  We were trying to get the help of Molimo because the event was to be held during Black History Month and AIDS is very prevalent among African Americans. We’ve met with [Molimo] for a dialogue about how AIDS affects members of the black community today.

Observer: Is the event only open to FCLC students?

K.B.: It’s open to whoever wants to come; however, the same guest policy applies for this event as with others.  Every Fordham ID will permit 2 guests, so don’t forget your ID!