New Healthcare Law To Affect FCLC Students

By KATE MCGEE

Published: March 2, 2011

The Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) has proposed a new regulation that ensures college students with health insurance through their college or university would be eligible for all of the new provisions provided through the Affordable Health Care Act. It would define student health coverage as  “individual health insurance coverage.” The new benefits go into effect Jan. 1, 2012.

Kathleen Malara, director of student health services at Fordham University, said negotiations for next year’s health insurance plan take place over the summer, so it is unclear how this proposed rule would impact the cost of healthcare at the university for the following school year. However, the revised plan would be available to students before the 2011-2012 school year begins.

According to a press release from the HHS, students who have health insurance through their university would no longer be able to lose health insurance unexpectedly or have the health insurance company cap their policy if they are in an accident or become sick. Student health insurance plans beginning before Sept. 23, 2012 would also “be allowed to have annual dollar limits on essential health benefits of no less than $100,000.” Insurance plans will also have to use 80 percent of revenue from premiums for medical care.

In addition, students under 19 can no longer be dropped for pre-existing conditions or because of a mistake on an application.

According to the Health Department, around three million students are covered through student health plans offered by schools.

Malara said she does not have the specific number of Fordham students who are insured through the student health plan, and Fordham’s healthcare provider, Administrative Concepts, did not return calls for comment. But she said most students have some sort of insurance plan.

“Clinically, when I take care of people, especially at Lincoln Center, a lot of graduate students and law students [use Fordham’s health insurance],” said Malara. “I very rarely come across students without insurance.”

Fordham’s current health insurance plan for students, provided by Administrative Concepts, does not provide insurance for pre-existing conditions.

According to the Student Accident & Sickness Insurance brochure, a pre-existing condition is defined as, “a sickness, injury or related condition for while medical advice, diagnosis, care or treatment was recommended or received by a Doctor during the first six consecutive months prior to the effect date of the Insured Person’s coverage under this Plan.” Students with a pre-existing condition must wait 12 months before coverage will be provided.

Fordham’s current health insurance plan is considered a limited benefits health insurance plan. For the 2010-2011 school year, the cost for Student Accident and Sickness Insurance Plan is $1,784.

Nadine DeNinno, FCLC’11, has purchased healthcare through Fordham University since she came to the university.

“My late father owned a business and obviously didn’t have a family plan healthcare,” DeNinno said. “My parents wanted to make sure that when I went away to college, I had some sort of healthcare and the rates for Fordham’s student coverage were reasonable for my family.”

Kathleen Sebelius, Health and Human Services secretary, said in a press release that this new regulation will give students more control over their insurance coverage.

“This rule would ensure that these plans remain a viable, affordable option for students while guaranteeing that they are regulated consistently and offer transparent benefits to students,” Sebelius said.

HHS said if approved, the regulation would apply to both public and private universities. These benefits would increase by 2014, when students of all ages could not be denied coverage for pre-existing conditions.

DeNinno said the regulation sounds great, but she is not entirely convinced.

“I recently saw Michael Moore’s film ‘Sicko’ and I have become cynical about American healthcare,” she said.

While the Health Department said this is a positive step towards providing healthcare for all Americans, some are concerned these regulations could backfire on college students. In an article printed by the Wall Street Journal, Steve Bloom of the American Council on Education said insurers may simply increase premiums in response to these new regulations.

Most times, students use health insurance through their college or university when their parents do not have coverage. Healthcare plans are offered at more than 1,500 schools throughout the country.