FCLC Falls for Falltopia

By ANDREW PISTONE

Published: November 3, 2010

Falltopia 2010, sponsored by the Office of Student Leadership and Community Development (OSLCD), is running from Nov. 1 through Nov. 5.

Falltopia, embracing the “Feed Your Soul” theme, utilizes a wellness theme every year, and the 2010 Falltopia committee said they tried to coordinate events that would help students enjoy themselves during the week.

“Each of the events is about something that is designed to make you feel good, whether that’s saying thank you, embracing family, eating chocolate, or having fun at a carnival,” said committee member Aisha Blake, FCLC ’13.

The week started off with students writing letters to active soldiers on Nov. 1 expressing their gratitude in the Student Lounge. The letters exuded appreciation for servicemen women for their dedication to the country.

“We wanted to send these cards to thank those who are serving or were serving overseas, and have dedicated themselves to protecting our liberties and freedom,” said Baraa Elhariry, FCLC ’14.

On Nov. 2, students gathered together for an interfaith remembrance to light a candle for loved ones who have recently died. On a lighter note, students watched in the 1971 film “Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory” on Nov. 2. Students dipped different food into chocolate at fondue booth brought in the by Falltopia committee.

The Fordham Family Dinner, sponsored by APAC, Desi C.H.A.I., MESA, Molimo and the Gaelic Society, is scheduled for Nov. 4. Each club will contribute cultural cuisines for students to enjoy in McMahon 109 at 7:30 p.m. Molimo will bring meat patties, MESA will bring hummus and falafels, and the Gaelic Society will bring tea and pastries.

“I can’t wait,” said Sophia Suppa, FCLC ’11. “It’s exciting that students will have a chance to learn about various ethnicities. It’s also definitely a plus when there are so many different kinds of food to eat.”

The weeklong event will be punctuated by a Friday night carnival on Nov. 5, tentatively scheduled to last from 8 p.m. to midnight. Festivities will be held in the Lowenstein Atrium, the Student Lounge, and in the cafeteria. There will be karaoke, a photo booth, air hockey, caricaturists, and a foosball table.

Eliza Boggia, FCLC ’11, is a member of Operation Smile, and said all club members are excited for the carnival.

“A few members of Operation Smile are avid foosball players, and are excited to take on other students and clubs who are up for the challenge,” she said.

The director of OSLCD, Dorothy Wenzel, was happy to be involved with Falltopia again this fall.

“Students tell us they really enjoy Falltopia,” she said. “We are excited to host this program again.”