Computer Lab to Serve as New Media Resource Center for FCLC Students

By NICOLE MUSA

Published: October 20, 2010

New media programs were recently installed on the 10 mac desktop computers in the computer lab in room 308 of the Lowenstein  building at Fordham College at Lincoln Center (FCLC). According to the FCLC department of Information Technology (IT), the programs were installed in August and consist of Final Cut Pro as well as the latest Adobe Creative Suite (CS5), which includes programs such as Photoshop, Indesign, Bridge, Flash, Illustrator and more.

“The programs were installed because we’re slowly converting the lab in room 308 into a media center for all students to use,” Mohammed Khalil, FCLC ’11 and IT Supervisor, said.

Prior to the installation, the latest version of the programs were only available in the visual arts department, located in the solarium of Lowenstein and restricted to those enrolled in the department’s courses. Now that the programs are available elsewhere on campus, students of all majors are permitted to use them, according to Fordham IT.

Communication and media studies majors are particularly encouraged to utilize these new resources. “Across the communications professions, as well as in some graduate programs, the ability to create and think in the ways these programs promote is increasingly crucial,”  Amy Aronson, Ph.D., assistant professor of communication and media studies, said.

According to Aronson, the idea to obtain this software was supported by a faculty committee across several different departments including IT, communication, creative writing, visual arts, English and computer science.  The decision to invest in the software was made because it would “benefit multiple departments, and so be a valuable resource across the college.”

Even if students have yet to use Final Cut Pro or any of the Adobe CS5 programs in their classes, having the programs readily available on campus gives them the option of using them for media-based endeavors outside of Fordham, such as internships or jobs.

“I think the Adobe CS5 package is a great resource for communication majors to have because it’s beneficial to have at least some background in digital imaging, especially if you’re looking to form your own web site or publication,” Mike Mineo, FCLC ’12, said.

However, there are still computer programs and equipment on campus that would be beneficial to communication and media studies majors/minors, but are offered exclusively to visual arts majors and minors, despite the recent changes. That equipment includes but is not limited to digital cameras, various audio equipment and video editing programs such as Pro Tools.

“I do know and feel strongly that the visual arts labs are for students enrolled in visual arts classes only,” Abby Goldstein, professor of visual arts, said. “It should be noted that students enrolled in many of the visual arts classes pay an additional lab fee, which is why the visual arts labs are limited to only the students who are currently enrolled in classes.”

Some students enrolled in the visual arts program at FCLC feel that the installation of computer programs like Final Cut Pro and Adobe CS5 in computers outside of the solarium would be helpful.

“As a visual arts minor who mostly uses programs like Pro Tools, I have to edit all of my work in the solarium because those programs are not available anywhere else on campus,” Greg Palmer, FCLC ’11, said. “It doesn’t bother me too much, but it would be helpful to have other lab options during finals week because all of the computers in the visual arts department are usually occupied.”

In addition to Final Cut Pro and the Adobe CS5 package that was installed in LL room 308, new recording software was also recently installed.

IT is currently preparing to install brand new Epson scanners in the computer lab in LL 308 as well, according to Khalil.  “The scanners will be installed for students working with photography for their classes but will be available to any student who desires to use them.”