USG Announces Newest Members

By ANDREW PISTONE

Published: October 5, 2010

On Sept. 28, United Student Government (USG) at Fordham College at Lincoln Center (FCLC) announced its newest members for the fall semester.

The winners include Paul Sieradzki, Matthew Gillis and Ben Schaub as freshman senators;  Brandon Pietras, Tatiana Popovitchenko and Chris Chromey as junior senators; Ryan Murphy as senior senator; and Kim Kraft, FCLC ’13, as secretary.

This fall, eight freshmen ran for freshman senator, which Brandi D’Esposito, FCLC ’11 and USG president, said is more than she can ever recall.

“The large number of freshman candidates was a testament to how great of a class they are and of all the great things they are going to do,” D’Esposito said. “I hope that those who weren’t elected will still join us for our general meetings.”

Although there were eight candidates running for three spots, Sieradzki, FCLC ’14, thought the process was handled professionally by all in contention.

“I was happy that nobody made it into a cut-throat competition,” Sieradzki said. “I was running, and I voted for other candidates that I thought would represent me well should I lose the election.”

Sieradzki’s also said one of his biggest priorities is to help improve the wi-fi Internet connection at FCLC.

“I have seen much bigger campuses with many more students that have better coverage and faster speeds. Fordham holds its students to a high standard, and we have the right to do likewise with our facilities,” Sieradzki said.

New junior senator Pietras said his focus is on communication with the administration.

“We will be working to continue and enhance dialogue between ourselves (USG) and various departments,” Pietras said. In addition, he said he will be working on improving student life on campus and improving the quality and satisfaction with student-run programs and events.

The smaller fall semester election happens within the first few weeks of the new school year to fill freshman vacancies, and to round out positions that were not claimed last spring.

D’Esposito said, “I am extremely excited about our new members. We are constantly looking for new ideas, and having fresh outlooks will be beneficial for us in the future.”