Fordham Raises $18 Million in Donations in 2019 Fiscal Year

Jeopardy%21+host+Alex+Trebek+and+wife+Jean+make+generous+contribution+to+include+East+Harlem+students+in+effort+to+increase+campus+diversity.+

THOMAS MARTINEZ VIA FLICKR

“Jeopardy!” host Alex Trebek and wife Jean make generous contribution to include East Harlem students in effort to increase campus diversity.

By REBECCA THOMPSON

So far in the 2019 fiscal year, Fordham University has raised $18 million, most recently with the help of “Jeopardy!” host Alex Trebek and his wife Jean. In January, alumni couple Susan Conley Salice and Thomas P. Salice also made a sizable contribution supporting Fordham students.

The Trebeks, whose son Matthew graduated from Fordham College at Rose Hill (FCRH) in 2013, gifted a sum of $1 million to the Alex Trebek Endowed Scholarship Fund in early February. The Trebek scholarship funds were established in 2015 when Trebek made a donation supporting qualified students who are unable to afford tuition from North Harlem.

The most recent donation has widened Trebek’s generosity to include East Harlem students. With approximately 14 percent of the Fordham undergraduate student population identifying as Hispanic/Latino, the expansion of funds toward a predominantly Latino group of students is likely to increase campus diversity.

Susan Salice, FCRH ’82, and Thomas Salice, Gabelli ’82, donated $2 million to Faith & Hope, a campaign for financial aid. The campaign raised $156.7 million thus far and is working to reach its goal of $175 million. As recipients of scholarships during their time at Fordham, the Salice family is dedicated to contributing to the affordability and accessibility of Fordham for those who need it.

Bob Howe, assistant vice president for communications, said, “Our alumni feel that their Fordham education has served them well and want to ensure future generations of Fordham students benefit equally from their time here.”

Both families are repeat donors to the university and their contributions allow Fordham to make education accessible to qualified students without the financial burden. Scholarships are necessary for 76 percent of the undergraduate student body.

“Our generous alumni and friends are most interested in supporting student scholarships,” Howe said. “Most donors also want to make the world a better place, and one way to do so is supporting Jesuit education at Fordham.”